Dry Hopping in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnoob1

Reaction score
Quick question for those that dry hop in the keg. Do you rack the beer over to a keg and dry hop at room temp for a few days before dropping the keg into the kegerator? Or do you add the dry hops and put the keg immediately into the kegerator?

I've only done this 3 times but I've keg hopped after it's been carbed and in the keezer for a few days. I've only done this each time because I didn't think those beers had enough aroma otherwise I think I would have hopped as soon as I kegged my beers. I don't know what, if anything, waiting adds to the equation and it may be a matter of opinion.
3 times I added 1 1/2 oz to my kegs.

Aroma is extracted faster at warmer temps. The same ounce of hops at 70f is going to do more than the ounce at 35f over the same time period.

That being said, I still do both with good results!

I've read both ways too so was hoping for real time experience as this is my first time that I'll be dry hopping in the keg as opposed to the primary for 7 days (post fermentation that is....I dry hop after 14 days but do so in the primary). I want the aroma to stick around longer as it fades pretty fast in my experience after I transfer to keg.

Some say to keg and leave at room temp for 3-5 days prior to putting into the kegerator for carbing and others say put directly into the kegerator. Hmmm....decisions decisions.

Do you guys just drop a weighted-down hop bag in the keg? Or suspended from a piece of unscented floss? Agitated/shaken a few times day or just let it lay in there?

How about the fine dust that makes it out of the bag? Just enjoy a fiber enriched beer the first 2 pours?

Some say to keg and leave at room temp for 3-5 days prior to putting into the kegerator for carbing and others say put directly into the kegerator. Hmmm....decisions decisions.

I put the dry hopped keg directly into my keezer. After 2 weeks on the gas I get great aroma from the hops. Most of my kegs don't last more than 2 weeks, but I did have an IPA on tap for almost 4 weeks that still had great hop aroma up until the last pull.

Do you guys just drop a weighted-down hop bag in the keg? Or suspended from a piece of unscented floss? Agitated/shaken a few times day or just let it lay in there?

How about the fine dust that makes it out of the bag? Just enjoy a fiber enriched beer the first 2 pours?

I don't weigh the bag down. The hops oils will permeate the beer in the keg even if the bag floats on top. I also use fine mesh bags in order to contain the hops. Most of the floaters will sink and get pushed out on the first few pours.

I did this for the first time a couple weeks ago. I also just happened to be disassembling and cleaning the 3-piece ball valve from my boil kettle and noticed that the ball is stainless, food grade, heavy - perfect for weighing the hop bag down!

I tied some Teflon tape to the top of the bag, and that did a great job of giving me a way to pull the bag out, and it didn't interfere with the keg seal.

Only problem was this: I didn't tie the bag tightly enough and there is a pretty sizable quantity of leaves floating around in my beer. I've only had a couple glasses, so I bet they'll be gone before too long. Anyway, tie that bag up really securely.

So it sounds like for those that have done this, you put the keg directly into the kegerator following racking from primary/secondary? There's no wait period to sit at room temp for a few days prior to adding to the kegerator?

I think it works either way. I didnt put mine in the fridge right away just because there wasn't room at the time. If there had been room, I would have put it in. Works either way.

I have 2 kegs of this Pale Ale that seems a little weak. Would dry hopping help this out? The last batch seemed good, and this beer is still undercarbed and green. But I'm just paranoid that it won't be quite there

Here's what my normal routine:

1. Cold crash carboy at 35 for 3 days.
2. Put weighted hop bags into keg, the seal it and purge with CO2. I use about 3psi - pressurize it, open valve to release, then repeat several times.
3. Transfer cold beer into keg, making sure tube is long enough to go all the way to the bottom of keg.
4. Put lid back on keg, and purge the head space with CO2.
5. Check temperature - I don't open it up again, I use a temp strip on outside of keg. It's usually at around 45degrees at this point.
6. Pressurize to appropriate level based on temp and co2 volume needed (usually around 14psi or so).
7. Lay keg on it's side and roll back and forth for several minutes to force charge. Doing this also ensures the hops get nice and wet, and I like getting carbing out of the way.
8. Let keg sit at room temp for a day or two.
9. Put keg in kegerator at 50-55 degrees for 2 weeks or so.
10. Drop it down to 35, reattach CO2 and pressurize at 10-12psi or whatever is required for temp and level desired.
11. Drink or bottle sometime in the next several days to a week, leaving the hops in the keg the entire time.

You can get a grassy flavor from the hops if you leave it in the beer for too long at room temperature, but at lower temps, you won't get that. Best to leave it in the keg the entire time.

I get very good aroma doing this. Also, I always dryhop with a minimum of 3 ounces.

I like to carb it and shake it up right after going into the keg, then after that it just sits there and any sediment has a chance to drop out - especially after the 35deg period.

Everyone does it differently, so you should experiment with various methods and do what works best for your setup and tastebuds/nostrills. :)

I would dry hop with a high alpha hop at room temp for 5 to 7 days. Cold crash it near freezing for 2 to 3 days (you could even use a fining to help it drop). Then do a closed transfer to a new keg for serving leaving trub in the first keg.

This method works well because you can taste the beer prior to transfer and determine if it needs a second dry hop. If you need more aroma , repeat the process in the second keg. This maximizes aroma while avoiding vegetal flavors.

What do you hang the bag from inside the keg?

I have used floss in the past (unflavored).

Tie one end to the bag and the other to the handle. Close the lid on the floss.

Check out stainless brewing. They have a pretty rad dryhopper. I have one and use that now.

How long will it take for the effects of dry hopping in the cold carbomated keg to show up? I have a beer that needs more hop aroma and added 1 oz in a tight mesh hop sack to the carbonated beer in the keg at 40 F.

Latest posts

Back