Dry hopping in a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblanks2

Reaction score
I've read about never dry hopping past 7 or 10 days in secondary because of grassy flavors, but have also read where people put dry hops in a keg and leave them until the keg kicks.
So what' the deal? How can you get by with the hops remaining in a keg until it's done? Is it the Co2 or what?

Many use bags with strings to remove the hops after a set time. Others just leave them in. When I dry hop in the keg I do it when the beer is already cold in the kegger. I use the stainless tea balls and I just leave them in. The cold temps seem to slow down the deterioration on the hops. The beer does change taste over time, but I've never gotten the grassy taste.

Many use bags with strings to remove the hops after a set time. Others just leave them in. When I dry hop in the keg I do it when the beer is already cold in the kegger. I use the stainless tea balls and I just leave them in. The cold temps seem to slow down the deterioration on the hops. The beer does change taste over time, but I've never gotten the grassy taste.

Thanks for the quick response. This is my first attempt at dry hopping in the keg. I have a stainless screen tube designed for dry-hopping in a carboy. I attached a string to the end and loaded 2 ounces of pellet Cascade hops into it. I racked the 60*F beer onto the hops in the keg and flushed with Co2. I've got the keg in the kegerator at 40*F for force carbing. This will be a set and forget carbonation. Can't wait to see how this tastes and changes throughout it's short life.

Back