Dry hopping during fermentation in large plastic bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radu

Reaction score
Hi,

I plan on dry hopping for the first time during fermentation (or once the fermentation is about over, on day 3-4). The problem is that I have a large plastic bucket for fermentation, like this one:

https://brouwlandprod-yappa.netdna-ssl.com/image/fancy/products-0176305.jpg

and the only way to dry hop is to open the lid wide, pour de hops and close it back. If I do that, most of the CO2 will escape and be replaced with O2.

What are you recommendations? Should I dry hop like I did before? after the fermentation is done?

Regards,
Radu

People dry hop in primary - even in buckets - all the time. I only dry hop in secondary, but 1) I have a secondary 2) I'm old school and resistant to change. I'm sure many will say you'll be just fine opening your lid, throwing your hops in and resealing your bucket. Enjoy your beer and your hobby. Don't stress about it.

Hi,

I plan on dry hopping for the first time during fermentation (or once the fermentation is about over, on day 3-4). The problem is that I have a large plastic bucket for fermentation, like this one:

https://brouwlandprod-yappa.netdna-ssl.com/image/fancy/products-0176305.jpg

and the only way to dry hop is to open the lid wide, pour de hops and close it back. If I do that, most of the CO2 will escape and be replaced with O2.

What are you recommendations? Should I dry hop like I did before? after the fermentation is done?

Regards,
Radu

CO2 is not helium. It is heavier than air and will not fly out of the top of the bucket. Unless you open the bucket in a windy area it will take time for the CO2 to mix with the air. Just open the bucket, drop in the hops, and close the bucket as soon as you can. :rockin:

Yup, it will be fine. It's pretty common practice. I double dry hop in my primary all the time. No big deal, I think the transfer to secondary will introduce more o2 than opening the lid to dry hop. If you are following a pretty short dry hop schedule 3 4 days then to bottle or keg, I find the transfer unnecessary. But that's my opinion.

Latest posts

Back