Dry Hopping Contraption

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmarty1

Reaction score
I was at the Heritage Brewers Festival in St. Louis last weekend and in the home brewers tent they had some contraption filled with hops that beer was forced through from the pressurized keg. The contraption was clear and completely filled with hops. Carbonated beer from the keg was pushed into this device and the other end had a tap to serve the dry hopped beer straight into your glass. Anyone have any idea what its called?

Thanks Eastoak, that looks like something I'm going to need to play around with.
:mug:

It is a huge Randall. I was there when tapped It the first time. It's from Schlafly and they call it the hopalottomus. I got one of the first samples. It didn't do much. Then I got one an hour or so later and it was nasty grassy. Cool demo though.

You can make a randall out of a water filter canister. I have one, but never use it. And I don't know why, come to think of it. :confused:

Hi Yooper, do you have a link to the build info? I'd love to give it a try on the cheap!

It is a huge Randall. I was there when tapped It the first time. It's from Schlafly and they call it the hopalottomus. I got one of the first samples. It didn't do much. Then I got one an hour or so later and it was nasty grassy. Cool demo though.

Love the name! been saying hopalottomus around the house for an hour now. I was there too on Saturday afternoon, waiting for them to tap it, got some of the first glasses right out of the pitcher they tapped it into at first. I thought the same thing, nothing much at first but I really enjoyed it an hour later when i came back by.

I'm getting ready to buy one. Saw this at the AHA convention.

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/10-hop-randall.html

I spoke with the owner who suggested using it between to kegs to extract the aroma and some flavor. Fill up one keg, and then use C0-2 to push it through the Randall and into another keg. I'll report back how I like the results after I brew a Session's IPA and keg it in about three weeks.

Thanks for the links and information on this. Now I'm torn between making one myself and buying a complete setup for only 70 dollars! I'd love to hear how it works out for you Warrior as I'm buying some other equipment over the next couple months before I buy a Randall.

Ordered mine, it'll be here next week. I'll try it in another two weeks with a Sessions IPA. Going to keg four sixtels using four different hops through the randall.

Not happy with the 1st results through the randall. I did not use enough hops, tried 1oz. Also did not include my normal aroma addition at the end of the boil. Next try will be to use the normal aroma addition and 1 1/2 oz in the randall. Will post the results with the next batch which will be a full strength IPA not a session.

Latest posts

Back