Dry hopping & cold crashing. When to pull the hop sack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb3

Reaction score
I've been dry hopping a fresh squeezed inspired IPA for 6 days and getting reading to cold crash.

I'm using pellet hops in a mesh hop sack. When cold crashing, I can either leave the hop sack in for the first day or two and then pull the sack and let cold crash another day. OR I can pull the hop sack at the beginning of the cold crash. I've done it both ways but haven't really observed anything significant that would sway me one way or the other.

What's the consensus? When you dry hop and then cold crash, when do you pull the hop sack from your FV?

:mug:

Six days is plenty, and rather than eff around with things twice, I'd pull the bag before crashing.

btw, as long as you have the ability to cold-crash, next time consider not using a bag.
I never use hop bags when dry-hopping in the fermentor, and just cold-crash all the pellet mush hard to the bottom before kegging...

Cheers!

Yeah, probably just as well to pull it right off the bat.

I use a plastic conical as my FV. The opening is less than 1" and I'm sure I'd end up with a hop wad that would clog the opening if I didn't
bag it. I use dental floss to suspend the mesh bag and to retrieve it when ready.

Thanks for the reply!

:mug:

Latest posts

Back