Dry hopping, cold crashing quesitons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakehoodlum

Reaction score
I am currently brewing a pale ale in my primary that I plan to both dry hop and cold crash. It has been fermenting in the primary at 68F for 8 days now and I plan to let it sit there for another 6 or 7 days to finish fermentation and allow the yeast to clean and clarify.

I plan on dry hopping for 2-4 days and dry hopping at 68F. Should I transfer to a secondary, dry hop for 2-4 days, then cold crash for a few days? Or should I cold crash the primary, then transfer to a secondary and dry hop at 68F.

Thanks!

I would cold crash for a day or two to get the yeast out of suspension, then dry hop for a few days at 68F, cold crash again, then bottle. No secondary.

For a pale, I usually ferment for 7 days, cold crash and draw off clean beer into the keg with the bagged dry hops. Allow to sit at room temp for 5 to 7 days, then chill and serve without retrieving the bag of hops.

Back