Dry hopping cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
If I dry hop cascade pellets and leave them for a week. What would the recommended amount to use and would a week be too long?
I don't want it overly hoppy just enough to add a nice taste.
The kit is an all extract coopers apa .

If you don’t want an overly hoppy aroma then I would do 1 to 2 ounces max. 3 or 4 + is good for an IPA but that doesn’t sound like what your looking for. 2-4 days should be enough

From what it seems you are looking for I would also suggest going low on the amount, probably 2 ounces. I have dry hopped to 5 days and to 2 weeks, I haven't noticed much difference between the timings. When I started dry hopping the standard advice was almost always 5 - 7 days. Shorter seems to be a more recent idea.

I recentLy did a munton IPA kit and used just an ounce of cascade and even before putting the pellets in, that stuff is pretty potent. Very strong citrus aroma to it. I don't like a over hoppy IPA, but what I got from just 1 ounce was pretty tasty, and not too "tart" which is the best way I can describe an IPA.

I recall reading on here that 4-5 days was ample, and that too much cascade can overbare your beer. From my single attempt, I'd have to think that more than 2 ounces would give you super tart IPA.

Back