Dry Hopping - Can I agitate the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kokonutz

Reaction score
Hi all... My dry hop method is primitive, but works for now. Generally it's sterilized and sanitized hop sack tied off the top.

Yesterday i just dropped 60g of hops into my fermenter and realized I forgot to add marbles to our little baggie. As you would guess they hops are just floating at the top. They (can) have about 4-5 more days depending on when i package this weekend. So, is it bad to agitate the fermenter some and stir things around . I am trying NOT to reopen the carboy, as I'm hoping the final fermentation points eat up any oxygen I've already allowed when dropping the hops. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't shake the fermenter, but it probably won't impact your final product. You just might stir up trub.

Free ball the hops, and recent studies have shown that DH extraction happens way faster than we originally thought. 24 hours is often enough time. Definitely don't need 5 days.

Back