Dry hopping advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhubbell

Reaction score
Okay, so last week I brewed a 5.5g batch of IPA, og 1.070.
I was planning on doing 3 dry hoppings, each for 4 days. I don't wanna over do it, but I want good depth of nice hoppy flavor. Using all pellets - i usually go for the whole leaf for dry hopping, but just inventoried my freezer and have 4.64# of pellets I gotta start using up!
I'm gonna be doing
1st hopping: 100% simcoe
2nd hopping: 60% riwaka/40% Amarillo
3rd hopping: 100% galaxy

This schedule/timing seems in line with alot of the hoppy beers id like this to turn out similar to, like Pliny and heady topper!
What I'm wondering is what thoughts would be on how much weight I wanna be using...

Thanks for any advice/experiences you can share

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I usually use muslin bags, does that work just as well?

Muslin bags may let some hop particles through. The paint strainer bags holes are smaller. You can get them pretty cheap at any home improvement store.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but is there any truth to the claim that the use of strainer bags reduces the utilization of hops

Also - are you guys using paint strainer bags during the boil as well??

Here's my thought

Primary: 1.5 oz simcoe 4 days
Secondary: 1oz riwaka, .5oz Amarillo 4 days
Third: 1.5 oz galaxy 4 days

Seem like an adequate amount using paint strainers for a nice burst of hoppy flavors?

Back