Dry Hopping a Weisbier/Hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
Anyone done it and care to share take-aways from it?

I'd tried a few hefes in the past, twice produced banana bombs, but last time I settled on what I believe it takes to produce an evenly balanced hefe. Since then, I've gotten into 10 gallon brewing, so I plan on brewing 10 gallons of hefe/weisbier for the hot season. The first keg I'll several straight up, but I'm considering going out of style and doing something like dry hopping the second keg.

I could see taking various approaches to the proposition: 1-2 oz of something noble, such as the hallertau I'll use to bitter it, or maybe saaz; or I could go with some otherwise non-conventional, probably American hops. And down that path, I could see going modest and just doing 1-2 oz of something, or I could see going a but more assertive with, say, 5 oz of some American hops.

Please share your thoughts, experiences, suggestions, and the such.

Cheers.
Brew on.

I dry hop hefe's with modest amounts of German Hallertau - typically 1.5-2 oz per 5 gallon, for 4-5 days at ~68°F.
Considering how mellow the strain is one should not expect fireworks, and indeed the character contribution is more suggestion than effect.

Cheers!

[edit] While boredom may inspire the incorporation of diverse/non-traditional components, at some point does the style cease to exist?
If that's the case, then one should actually feel totally unfettered, throw tradition to the wind, and go wherever the urge leads...

I personally am tempted to experiment with dryhopping a Weizen with Huell Mellon. That one sports a lot of strawberry and some honey melon. In my head that could be great fun with the banana from the yeast.

Back