Dry hopping a low gravity beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I've just decided to get back into beer brewing after a break of several years, and I just can't handle alcohol as well as I used to so I'm aiming for something around 3% ABV.

I've already started the 23L (6 gallon) brew and it consists of:

1.7kg Coopers lager pre-hopped liquid malt extract
500g dried pale malt
Standard yeast that the Coopers can came with.

The OG of the beer was 1.032. I have a sealed 100g bag of NZ Cascade hop pellets. I do like my beers reasonably hoppy but not sure how much to add. I'm thinking of putting in 50g (just shy of 2oz) around 4-5 days before bottling. Is 50g of the NZ Cascade hops a good amount for a low gravity beer like this?

Gonna make an IPL , nice. Just depends on what you like . I dry hop my IPA with 4 -5 oz of hops. I brew 5 & 5.5 gallons. I'm not sure what dry hopping effects have on a low abv though.

I think you can easily throw the whole 100 gr as NZ and AUS versions of Cascade are no near as potent as the US grown one. 4-5 days is too long in my opinion. 40 to 60 hours will be enough as long as the dry hop is done at a temp. between 17 and 22C.

In my experience, the harsh-tasting vegetal characteristics of hops come through a lot more when dry-hopping low-ABV beers. If it were me, I wouldn't put in any more than an ounce.

... before bottling ...

Assuming you are bottling, half gallon containers (growlers, mason jars, ...) could be useful for experimenting with different hops, hop amounts, and timings off of a 5 gal batch.

Starting out, 48 oz in a 64 oz container will yield 3 bottles per container; after that, adjust the starting volume to reduce losses (if desired).

Back