dry hopping a cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastofhere

Reaction score
I'd like to dry hop my cider with my favorite Citra hops- so the plan is to put about two ounces of dry hops into the secondary for about a week or so. Has anyone tried this? I'm totally guessing on the amount here; this is what I use for beer, but to be honest, since those are already hopped during wort production, its hard to say how much hop nose I'm getting from the dry hopping. I'd like the cider to have a light hop nose to it.

I tried it a few times.Used Citra, Nelson, Centennial, and Cascade all in separate batches. Never had a lot of success to be honest.

My best results came with about 1.5 oz of pellets. My recommendation would be to add your hops, wait about 3 days, then take a small sample everyday until it tastes and smells how you want it. The first time I tried it, I waited two weeks and it was no bueno.

I tried it a few times.Used Citra, Nelson, Centennial, and Cascade all in separate batches. Never had a lot of success to be honest.

My best results came with about 1.5 oz of pellets. My recommendation would be to add your hops, wait about 3 days, then take a small sample everyday until it tastes and smells how you want it. The first time I tried it, I waited two weeks and it was no bueno.

No good cause to strong or not strong enough?

My only experience with hopping an afelwein was positive. I racked 3gal. into a keg that had half an ounce of home grown whole cone Goldings in a tea ball and waited seven days before bottling. Everyone is enjoying it now.

If you use two ounces I'd plan on sampling daily and wouldn't expect a week unless you have a very large batch.

My only experience with hopping an afelwein was positive. I racked 3gal. into a keg that had half an ounce of home grown whole cone Goldings in a tea ball and waited seven days before bottling. Everyone is enjoying it now.

If you use two ounces I'd plan on sampling daily and wouldn't expect a week unless you have a very large batch.

So, one - two ounces for a 5 gal. carboy?

Add just before bottling or kegging?

When the flavor is right do it?

Calypso or galaxy are good hops for this I think. Do it for a short period. 5 days maybe. I'd go with an Oz for 5 gallons and see what you think. If it isn't enough do a second round or more next time. You can always add more. Pain to make more cider to dilute it back a reasonable amount.

Back