Dry Hopping a Blonde Ale with Nelson Sauvin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildingmotive

Reaction score
I a tried Nelson black IPA at a brew club meeting that totally blew me away. Since then I've ordered a decent stock of nelson sauvin hops to start playing with. I plan to brew a single hop nelson pale ale to get an idea of what they contribute. While planning all of this I looked over at my blonde ale fermenting and wondered if it would be a good candidate for a nelson dry hop.

After everything I've read it sounds like it might be good, but I really have no idea what I'm doing.

So...one oz nelson dry hopped into a blonde ale, should I go for it?

If it helps it only has an oz of Willamette at 60 min. I should also say that I'm not big on blonde ales, I brewed it for my wife since she doesn't seem to like any beer you can taste. She is a big wine fan though.

I say go for it. Learn what it does. I have a Nelson Sauvin Saison on right now that uses only that hop for all additions (plus dry hop). It's awesome (of course, that's just my opinion. I have no proof of its awesomeness).
:mug:

I don't think dry hopping is exactly "in style" for a blonde ale, but if you aren't brewing it for a competition then who cares, right? :D I say go for it.

Thanks. I'm not really worried about what's in style or competitions. I just heard a lot of good things about these hops and this seemed like a great place to try them out.

I just didn't want to ruin beer because I don't know what I'm doing. I think I'll take both of your advice and go ahead with the one oz dry hop and hope for the best.

Thanks a lot for the help!

I never really did come back and update this but the beer was a big hit. Turned out to be everyone's favorite and I burned through the keg before I had a chance to enjoy it. I'm definitely doing another batch.

My buddy brews an IPA with 11 oz of NS for 11 days which is a clone of Alpine Brewery Nelson here in east San Diego. It is truly amazing, it's a great hop

Rick

Well I know it may not be worth the risk or the work but what about racking a gallon or so to another fermenter and just dry hopping that batch so you still have plenty of the regular batch

Back