Dry Hopped Cider Think Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaddyBeard

Reaction score
Ok, so I made 5 gallons of cider. Apple cider from the local farmers market, some honey, some brown sugar and pitched some champagne yeast. I am tossing the idea around about dry-hopping the cider with about 1.5 ounces of Cascade(SWMBO pushed me in the direction after I was thinking out loud). If I do this should I back sweeten like I originally planned with a caramel syrup or just bottle it dry? Opinions please

I wish I could give you an opinion based on experience, but I'm planning to make a couple small batches of cider and try different additions soon. I've gone back and forth on what to do too many times, but I'm definitely going to dry hop one (either Cascade or UK First Gold - it's what I have open and need to use up) and oak another.

I think I'm going to keep them both dry and still, for comparison purposes and to keep it simple. Planning to use S-04 though, and hoping it may not dry it out quite as much as champagne yeast might.

What's the OG/FG on your batch? Do you want it still or carbed? You'll need to stabilize or pasteurize it if you backsweeten and want to keep it sweet, right?

Personally, I would keep it dry, or maybe backsweeten with more juice if anything. Caramel syrup might drown out the hops a bit, not sure tho....

Good luck! Interested to hear how it turns out.

BGBC said:
I wish I could give you an opinion based on experience, but I'm planning to make a couple small batches of cider and try different additions soon. I've gone back and forth on what to do too many times, but I'm definitely going to dry hop one (either Cascade or UK First Gold - it's what I have open and need to use up) and oak another. I think I'm going to keep them both dry and still, for comparison purposes and to keep it simple. Planning to use S-04 though, and hoping it may not dry it out quite as much as champagne yeast might. What's the OG/FG on your batch? Do you want it still or carbed? You'll need to stabilize or pasteurize it if you backsweeten and want to keep it sweet, right? Personally, I would keep it dry, or maybe backsweeten with more juice if anything. Caramel syrup might drown out the hops a bit, not sure tho.... Good luck! Interested to hear how it turns out.
Check my gravity when I get home and let you know theOG /FG

I've never dry hopped a cider, but I did just make a Graff - a hopped cider. I added only .5oz of citra to a 30 min. boil in a 5 Gallon batch, and I was very surprised at how bitter it was.

I've only tasted it once after it had sat for 2 weeks, so maybe it will be less bitter in another month. I know that dry hopping won't contribute much to the bitterness, but I though I'd share my experience.

Ok so my OG was 1.052 and right now after two weeks in the primary it's at 0.998.

So were you planning to stabilize, then backsweeten (still)? Or backsweeten, then pasteurize (sparkling)?

BGBC said:
So were you planning to stabilize, then backsweeten (still)? Or backsweeten, then pasteurize (sparkling)?
I am thinking about pasteurizing it. Just can't decide to sweeten or not to sweeten

I sweetened mine, and it was the right thing to do. With the one that I threw together tonight, I'm thinking about letting it ride and turning out a nice, tart, 8% monster. Haha!

You could always sweeten half, and keep the other half dry. Have a taste test with friends and see what everyone thinks. Either way, you'll drink it all. I promise :)

I have a cider I'm planning to dry hop with Cascade. I think I will let it go dry and carb it, I just think the carb will be a pleasant effect with the hops.

Normally I add a good bit of sugar to my ciders to yield about 11 % ABV, so technically that's not a cider, its a wine...

On this batch I added no sugars, Starting Gravity 1.051. Estimate ABV to be around 6.4%. I just want the apples and the hops to come out....

Just racked to my secondary with 1.5 ounces of cascade and it smells awesome. Think I might just back sweeten it a little with a can of apple juice concentrate or do you think the caramel would go better?

Personally, I think the caramel would conflict with the cascade. Cascade tastes kinda like grapefruit, I can't see caramel and grapefruit going well together. Could be wrong?

Dry-hopped cider has become a regular in my house. I have always used cascade, though I'm thinking about exploring a different type with my next batch. I usually let it go dry, or near dry. I find that way the hops/cider go together better.

mdabbles said:
Personally, I think the caramel would conflict with the cascade. Cascade tastes kinda like grapefruit, I can't see caramel and grapefruit going well together. Could be wrong?
Very good point

Latest posts

Back