Dry hopped 10 days vs. 2 months experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porky_pine

Reaction score
I recently brewed 10 gallons of this pale ale and split it into two primaries, 5 gallons each: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/lake-walk-pale-ale-32939/

I dry hopped them both at three weeks and bottled one 10 days later and the other two months later. Right now the one that was sitting in primary on the dry hops for two months tastes fantastic and better than the other. The other has lost some of the hop aroma at this point but even fresh, I like this one better. Not grassy tasting at all.

I feel like it would have been a better comparison to leave both batches in primary for two months, but dry hop one batch for the last 10 days only due to the fact the first batch wasn't fresh during the taste comparison.

Kudos for giving it a try, though.

You're right! It was an accidental experiment. I have 20+ carboys laying around my basement and kinda forgot about the other half of this batch. I'm glad I bottled it later than I meant to though because it has a very pronounced hop flavor and I think it might be because of the extended time on the hops.

Latest posts

Back