Dry Hop while Yeast Cleans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveLikesBeer

Reaction score
I have an APA which is nearly at its FG. I was planning on dry hopping but then it hit me that according to my schedule I'd be dry hopping while the yeast cleans up. Should I wait a week post hitting FG to dry hop or is dry hopping and letting the yeast clean up something that can happen in parallel without losing aroma to yeast activity?

This is (arguably) the best time to dry hop as the lower yeast activity will absorb any oxygen that's introduced by the hops and since there isn't a lot of positive pressure, not a lot of aroma will be lost. I always do it at the diacetyl rest phase.

This is (arguably) the best time to dry hop as the lower yeast activity will absorb any oxygen that's introduced by the hops and since there isn't a lot of positive pressure, not a lot of aroma will be lost. I always do it at the diacetyl rest phase.

Awesome, thanks!

After this batch, if you think there isn't enough aroma from the dry hopping, just add more to the bill the next time you brew this recipe. Better to err a little on the liberal side though. Never enough hop flavour/aroma in an APA if you ask me :)

I prefer to wait till the beer settles out clear or slightly misty,which happens after FG is reached. Less settling yeast & whatnot for the hop oils to cling to & get settle out as well. but my partial mashes being biab with a finer crush causes problems. They don't wanna settle out that well,due to the fine crush & some yeasts like US-05 being less than highly flocculent. If it's at the FG this batch of NZ hopped IPA should be,I'll dry hop anyway,as it should be mostly settled out by this time,nearly 4 weeks later. And I used super moss too. So much for that idea. But I do have a proper grain crusher now,so that part will change. I had a notion that I could also do a biab version of vorlaufing to clear the fresh wort a lil more as well.

After this batch, if you think there isn't enough aroma from the dry hopping, just add more to the bill the next time you brew this recipe. Better to err a little on the liberal side though. Never enough hop flavour/aroma in an APA if you ask me :)

Good point. Well, I was originally going to do an IPA but try to keep to lower gravity (to keep the ABV lower than style) but end result ended up matching APA style (see https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/first-recipe-attempt-lower-abv-ipa-409782/index2.html)

Back