Dry-Hop Questions & More = S.M.a.S.H

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm doing a Nelson Sauvin S.M.a.S.H beer. The primary has been going strong for about 5-6 days now & I plan on letting it sit in the primary for up to 14 days before doing anything. I have 2 more oz that I need to dry hop. I plan on bottling this beer, and I've read a lot of differing opinions on staying in the primary vs moving to the secondary, timing of when to bottle, when & how to dry hop, etc.. However, I'd like your opinions on these things for this specific beer.

Thanks for any possible help.

I would dry hop in the primary right as fermentation slows down. Let it sit 5 more days and slowly cool to about 55 degrees, wait for the beer to clear up, prime and then bottle.

I would dry hop in the primary right as fermentation slows down. Let it sit 5 more days and slowly cool to about 55 degrees, wait for the beer to clear up, prime and then bottle.

Thanks for this. I was a bit worried that "cold crashing" it might kill off the yeast completely. Since I'm not force-carbonating it in a keg, that would be a problem. However, at 55, it should still live through that enough to "reactivate" when primed right?

Back