dry hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IreRye

Reaction score
i am brewing a pale ale. im 7 days in and my airlock is at a slow bubble. the recipe i was following said to dry hop after 5 days. 2 days ago that sucker was bubbling like mad so i decided to wait...

should i wait until i see no more action going on. or is it ok to transfer to secondary and dry hop?

im guessing i just wait to see no more action, then transfer and dry hop...

It kind of depends upon your SG and the temperature at which you are fermenting.
If at regular temps,the beer may just be off-gassing, in which case you should go for it,move and hop.

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

yeah the beer has been fermenting at around 65 degrees

I think you want fermentation to be complete before dryhopping so you don't lose any of the hop aroma. I would take a hydrometer reading today and another reading tomorrow and if they are the same value then go ahead and dry hop. I am not very experienced but that is my understanding from everything I have read.

It should be safe to dry hop by now. You can simply leave it in primary and add the dry hops. That's what most of us do anymore. Or you can rack to secondary and add the dry hops, your choice.

Personally, I let the beer ferment in the primary for 14 days, then I rack to secondary and dry hop there for 7 days...maybe 14, depending on the beer.

I am with BBL on the no secondary. I do it with lagers but never ales. 14 day primary,dry hop on day 8 and then into the bottles it goes.

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

I usually wait 10 days or so then dry hop in the primary.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Personally, I let the beer ferment in the primary for 14 days, then I rack to secondary and dry hop there for 7 days...maybe 14, depending on the beer.

Same here. 7 days at mid 66-68, 7 days around 70 for a thorough d-rest, then transfer to secondary and dry hop. I know it's done fermenting at 14 days and I don't have to risk possible infection by taking multi hydrometer readings. Though I never have done that in my practice. More than one way to skin a cat though...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I dry hopped after 7 days when fermentation was complete. The beer came out great. Bottled and sitting for 3 weeks. Can't wait to try it

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back