Dry Hop Hash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prjectmayhem

Reaction score
I am wanting to use some of my recently acquired hop hash in making a NEIPA. I plan to use 1-2oz at flameout/whirlpool as suggested usage.

My question is, what process do you use in order to use this as a dry hop addition? From what I can tell, it is very difficult to solubilize the high oil content in hop hash by simply adding it to the fermenter like you would for hop pellets. What process have you done to do a "dry hash"? Thanks!!

I just tried hop hash for the first time on a recent brew, and I used it in the whirlpool. Worked quite nicely.

As for "dry hashing," I'm not sure there is a very good way of doing that. The only thing I can think of would be to soak the hash in some vodka to make a hop tincture of sorts, and dump that in to the fermentor. But at that point, I'd be wondering why one would rather do that than whirlpool.

I tried to dry hash in the keg...it was a complete disaster.
It didnt disolve well (pre softened in vodka) and gummed up the whole works.
I would stick to late boil / whirlpool if i were to use it again.

Back