Dry hop choice for a maltier IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
This is for a slightly non-traditional American IPA. I'm looking to create an ambery slightly malty profile so my grain bill is

7lbs 2-row
5 lbs light munich
0.5 lbs of biscuit malt
0.5 lbs carapils
0.25 lbs Crystal 120L
1 oz chocolate malt (for color)

I used 15g Summit for my bittering @ 60
Then 15g of Citra each @ 30, 15, 10, 5

I could always dry hop with citra as well but I've done quite a few already with that so I was trying to think of another option. Anyone tried a similar experiment? Maybe I don't dry hop at all and let the malt sing a bit more? Or maybe something complimentary hop wise? Just spitballing here and looking for some insight.

thanks gang

Last edited:
This is for a slightly non-traditional American IPA. I'm looking to create an ambery slightly malty profile so my grain bill is

7lbs 2-row
5 lbs light munich
0.5 lbs of biscuit malt
0.5 lbs carapils
1 oz chocolate malt (for color)

I used 15g Summit for my bittering @ 60
Then 15g of Citra each @ 30, 15, 10, 5

I could always dry hop with citra as well but I've done quite a few already with that so I was trying to think of another option. Anyone tried a similar experiment? Maybe I don't dry hop at all and let the malt sing a bit more? Or maybe something complimentary hop wise? Just spitballing here and looking for some insight.

thanks gang
I really like an Amber/Red IPA dryhopped with something resinous, like simcoe or chinook and Mosiac/citra. Brings some complexity with the caramel notes from the crystals

I brewed this about 3 weeks ago.

6lbs Pilsener 1L
3lbs Munich 10L
1lb Caramel 40L

1oz Centennial @60
1/2 oz Citra @10
1/2 oz Citra @0
1oz Citra whirpooled @<170°

It finished at 5.5 ABV and 45 IBU. I was pleased with it. Good hop flavor that didn’t cover up the malt.

This is what it looked like this past weekend-

3423243F-CD29-46DE-9D2D-E140BDD3461E.jpeg

I really like an Amber/Red IPA dryhopped with something resinous, like simcoe or chinook and Mosiac/citra. Brings some complexity with the caramel notes from the crystals

Hmmm, I've actually not tried Simcoe before so that might be a good idea...I do have some mosaic in the freezer though too. I think I'll order some simcoe and then I'll sample this when I rack it and see if it might benefit from a little dry hopping.

What's a commercial brew DH'd with Simcoe, anyone know?

Back