Dry and/or liquid extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrollyn

Reaction score
Is there a reason to have both liquid and dry malt extract in a recipe?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Is there a reason to have both liquid and dry malt extract in a recipe?

There are a few specialty malts that are only available as LME. Other than that, no real reason except for color target. Some prefer LME as long as it's fresh but DME is easier to handle and store. I use DME for starters and my FoodSaver to reseal it until next use. Once you open LME you should use the entire container. It is also easier to measure DME (using kitchen or brewing scales). There is a difference in their extract contribution; DME contributes about 45 pts per pound per gallon where LME is about 36 ppg. All these numbers mean is that 1 lb of DME in 1 gallon of water should be about 1.045 SG and LME would be about 1.036 SG (1 lb in 1 gallon of water).

For many of us, buying in bulk isn't possible so to get the right amount of fermentables we buy the liquid malt extract that will get us close but under the target amount and then use the dry malt extract to make up the rest. Liquid is a little cheaper than dry but much easier to get a pound and a quarter measure than the liquid that comes only in 3.3 pound increments.

Thanks! I wanted to scale down a recipe to one gallon for demo purposes, but didn't want to be missing something if I just used one or the other.

Latest posts

Back