Dropped Stainless Stirrer into Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p4ttythep3rf3ct

Reaction score
Quick and Dirty: I dropped a stainless steel chopstick into the secondary. Will this produce off-flavors?

Long: Racked a Blueberrry Wildflower mead to 3g secondary last night. Went to punch it down this morning, got distracted, and dropped the chopstick. The chopstick is not magnetic. I'd like to either remove this the best way possible (least amount of Oxygen exposure) or just chill out for a month if stainless won't cause off-flavors. Blueberries are pricey and I'd hate to have to rack this off to a blank 5g carboy, clean out the 3g (I have no other free 3g carboys), add new blueberries, and re-rack into the 3g.

Thoughts! This was looking to be the best one we've made yet and then disaster struck :(

SideView.jpg

TopView.jpg

It should be fine. I ferment in stainless steel anyways, and off flavors have yet to be a problem.

If you really want the chop stick back, rack the mead off into a new carboy and fish it out of the old. It's a good excuse to have another carboy.

By secondary, the mead is probably strong enough in alcohol content to kill off any bad germs on the end of the stirrer.

You're good to go, no worries! I've reached my entire forearm into a fermenting ale to retrieve a pair of sunglasses before. One of my better beers. Mead/Beer is a lot more hearty than you think, especially after a primary fermentation.

Thank you for including your toes in the picture, that always makes me laugh and reminds me of a gun forum I frequent. Happy Brewin!

Latest posts

Back