Dropped something in my boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
So I was brewing yesterday and at flame out (element out) I went to remove the clamp that was holding my recirculating hose in the boil kettle (this is how I sanitize my CFC), the little boot thingy, which is made of some kind of plastic fell into the boil kettle. It dropped to the bottom so I could not find it until I had drained the kettle. The plastic piece was probably exposed to the wort for about 20 min... which was the amount of time it took me to drain and cool my kettle.

I took a sample, and don't think I tasted anything strange, but I'm afraid I am going to be poisoning myself and others... Do you think I leached anything into my beer?

It was the green end piece of this:

2 in. Spring Clamp-80002 at The Home Depot

:mad:

So I was brewing yesterday and at flame out (element out) I went to remove the clamp that was holding my recirculating hose in the boil kettle (this is how I sanitize my CFC), the little boot thingy, which is made of some kind of plastic fell into the boil kettle. It dropped to the bottom so I could not find it until I had drained the kettle. The plastic piece was probably exposed to the wort for about 20 min... which was the amount of time it took me to drain and cool my kettle.

I took a sample, and don't think I tasted anything strange, but I'm afraid I am going to be poisoning myself and others... Do you think I leached anything into my beer?

It was the green end piece of this:

2 in. Spring Clamp-80002 at The Home Depot

:mad:

I'm no expert, but I'd say you'll live to be a "dirty old man" sometime way in the future LOL :mug:

on a more serious note: it must've hurt dropping your piece into the wort, especially if it was green already (?!?). it'll be fine, with some bandaging and liniment. and the beer will be fine too

While I was cooling my wort a few batches ago, I snagged my earphones cable on the brew pot and one of my "earbuds" went right into the wort. I had to laugh at myself on that one...disappointed that I ruined my earphones, but that's life. :) The beer is good.

Back