Drippy range fan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes909

Reaction score
I go back & forth between brewing outside on a 3 tier system, a BIAB setup on a single Cajun Cooker, and trying to brew inside on my glasstop range.

I say "try" because the range fan I have (this one) does a terrible job of removing steamy air coming from the brew kettle. What happens is that condensation accumulates on the bottom of the range hood and then starts dripping down in to the kettle- YUCK! I usually semi-cover the kettle with a lid but even then have to watch it close for boil over or any drips that may slide down the lid.

Before you ask -The fan is correctly vented outside with a correctly sized exhaust tube - 6".

Does anyone else get this situation and what do you do about it? Fans? Rags?...???

Cheers

Can you just tape a length of twine along its edge and then run the twine down at an angle to the kitchen counter? Or something else similarly lo-fi to reroute the water?

I have a basic 30in range fan and it sucks and not in the sucks air up and out of the kitchen. It plain sucks, I think it actually creates more steam and heat than if I didn't use it. Anyway if it's too cold outside to brew or I'm doing a small batch that my stove top can handle I just wipe away the condensation before it starts to drip down. It usually doesn’t become a problem until after about 30 mins of the boil.

Can you just tape a length of twine along its edge and then run the twine down at an angle to the kitchen counter? Or something else similarly lo-fi to reroute the water?

Maybe? I don't know how the tape would stick though, grease+moisture+stainless steel. Good idea though i'd have to work out how to keep it up there.

Latest posts

Back