Drinking My Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ere109

Reaction score
I brewed a lager five months ago, ran primary at 55, then dropped it one degree a day til I hit 33, and held it there for two months. Tonight I kegged it. Not wanting any of it to go to waste, after the autosiphon finished, I turned the carboy upside down and dumped the yeasty remains into a glass, which I'm thoroughly enjoying right now. It looks like apple cider, but this is going to be one good beer.

Whooooooaaaa

If I did that, I would turn into a gaseous giant unlike anything we've witnessed in the universe

Ha hah ah ha hha this is hilarious. Drinking that would seriously hurt me. Yeast gas is the worst smelling, longest lingering, nasty stuff ever.

hahaha :mug: A brewer after me own heart! When I'm done transferring my brew I pour myself a nice yeasty mug to sip on. Partly to see if the beer is going to work out and partly so none of it goes to waste.

Never had any ill effects, I figure it's due to eating fairly healthy and getting plenty of fiber. The yeast packs some mighty good nutrients if you've the constitution for it.

I have to transfer a lager over to the keg for lagering a week from now.. guess what I'm going to try! I'll definitely make SWMBO try it first!

I always drink the last bit of the bottle that has all the yeast in it to see what it tastes like but I don't think I'd drink the bottom of the fermentor.

You surely aren't the only one to do it though. I stopped by Listerman's in Cinci one time and one of the workers was drinking what looked like some kind of watery protein shake. I asked him what it was and he told me it was the dregs of something they were brewing.

It tasted great, and I felt no I'll effects. However, my stool was green for two days afterward.

Somewhat related topic: Can yeast survive the low pH in the stomach? What's the gas from - dead yeast or active yeast in your intestines? If it can survive low pH, is star san even effective? I too drank a lot of yeast over the weekend and I'm suffering. I nearly knocked myself out in my office. I mixed the dregs of 5 different beers and took a couple sips. Whew!

I tasted my Hefe yeast after bottling this weekend and there is no friggin way I would ever take a drink of that. And it was really bitter from the 1oz Tettnang that went into it.

Ha hah ah ha hha this is hilarious. Drinking that would seriously hurt me. Yeast gas is the worst smelling, longest lingering, nasty stuff ever.

I remember I once drank a 6-pack of a commercial unfiltered wheat beer...the next day, I actually caused my buddy's SWMBO to have an asthma attack... To be sure, a dubious moment, but to be fair, it was early on in my drinking 'career,' and I think it was a case of a GI system not yet primed and accustomed to drinking live beer....

Back