Drilling Frustration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenners

Reaction score
I've got a side-by-side refrigerator that I'm trying to convert into a two-tap kegerator.

I'm trying to drill the holes for the taps on the front door of the fridge side & it's been *very* frustrating. I'm using my trusty Craftsman electric drill (*not* cordless), handed down to me by my father-in-law, with a 1 inch hole saw bit from the local Home Depot, similar to this:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Used a pilot hole to get me started, and the central bit chewed through the paint + metal no problem right through to the insulation.

Now I've gotten to the full circle part, I cannot get the traction I need using this drill + bit. The paint in the circle is long gone. But the circle bit is just not getting any sort of penetration and looks to be getting chewed up.

Ugh.

This is my first real time drilling against metal (basic wood + plaster around the house before). This drill is old, but quality.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need a different/better drill bit? Is there some magic to drilling through these doors? :)

The bit you linked doesn't show much detail.
You should have bought a "Bi-Metal" hole saw that's made for cutting metal (assuming the one you bought is not intended for metal)

That said, I would think even a cheap wood cutting hole saw would manage a hole or two in a refrigerator. Slow speed with moderate pressure should get the job done.

Ed

I would guess the bit is dull. Hit the teeth with a file or grinder or get a new hole saw. It should rip right through. Make sure to apply some pressure too. Hole saws are not self-feed bits.

That bit should definitely go through a fridge door. Are you pushing the drill into the door when you drill? Is the drill on reverse?

I can't tell what your problem is from your post.

I would guess the bit is dull. Hit the teeth with a file or grinder or get a new hole saw. It should rip right through. Make sure to apply some pressure too. Hole saws are not self-feed bits.

It's a brand new bit.

I'm apply pressure, but I guess, not as much as I need to...

That picture is for a hole saw that isn't intended to drill through steel. And if that "hand me down" drill isn't variable speed, I'm betting that bit got cooked pretty quickly.

But if there's any chance that bit is still capable of getting through the steel skin, you have to run it slow, use some oil on the teeth, and let the bit cool down when that oil starts to smoke.

Otherwise, get yourself a bi-metal hole saw (it will most likely be painted white or orange) and if that corded drill is indeed a single speed, borrow a variable speed drill from someone, and run the bit very slowly with some oil...

Cheers - and good luck!

The drill is variable speed. It's old, but it rocks :) The bit isn't painted orange or white... I suspect that's the problem, that it's just rated for wood. Time to hit up a better hardware store than Home Depot.

I have drilled 3 holes in my fridge door and about 5 more holes is SS brewpots and my wood bit has not dulled yet.

I used the exact same one from the link exactely 3x in the last 4 months and is totally dull now. But first things first: CAREFUL!
I have a cheaper drill (not cordless) and bought the hole saw specifically to upgrade my kegerator with more tapps. First, I drilled a pilot hole through the door which is not a problem. However, the hole saw quickly got to its limits when the solid steel under the plastic cover. First hole worked, second was tough, third one caused severe issues.

When drilling the whole, make sure you apply plenty preasure and move the drill back/forth/left/right a bit. Once you get a fair amount of traction, you should be ok. Be careful, stuff will get hot and give your drill a bit of a break here or there.

I had a wood hole saw from Lowes and I had a hard time drilling through the top of my mini fridge for the tap tower. With continued pressure and taking it slow I was able to get through.

The drill is variable speed. It's old, but it rocks :) The bit isn't painted orange or white... I suspect that's the problem, that it's just rated for wood. Time to hit up a better hardware store than Home Depot.

Home Depot sells "Bi-Metal" hole saws... You just need to look at the package.

Picked up a bi-metal hole saw... And that was that, drilled through the door with *zero* troubles. Two taps now all set up.

Thanks for listening to my venting & giving me good advice, people!

fenners said:
Picked up a bi-metal hole saw... And that was that, drilled through the door with *zero* troubles. Two taps now all set up.

Thanks for listening to my venting & giving me good advice, people!

A proud owner of a good sharp holesaw with two beers on tap...all you need now is a hot chick to drink with.

Back