Drilling a brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdburkhart

Reaction score
So I just picked up a propane burner and a 30 gallon pot for free. And I am trying to figure some stuff out.

Like:
What is the pot made out of? It looks like stainless steel, but I don't know.
Who made this burner? And was the amount of carbon build up normal?
Has anyone used the step bit set from Harbor Freight? And will they last drilling two holes?

I don't mind investing some cash in this kettle since I got it for free, and I know I want to add at least a valve in the bottom.

Harbor freight step bit might drill one but be safe and buy two maybe three. I have never had luck with their drill bits, but at that price buy extras if you need them great if you don't return them.

start with a small hole, use the best bits you can afford, use some sort of lub/coolant. you need to keep the bit cool. if it warms up you will ruin the bit. if it drills through like butter, it's likely aluminum.

The step drills I have from Harbor Freight, have drilled many a holes, and some into stainless steel pots.

Latest posts

Back