Drilled wrong spot in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floyd_pambros

Reaction score
So I purchased a keg from CL to use as my HLT. I went to work pretty quickly on drilling a hole for my weldless ball valve. After struggling for a half hour with the hole saw I decided I better do some research on the best bit to use. I sure wish I would have looked here first. Apparently I should have started my hole away from the holes in the bottom ring and not directly above.

My question is there any way to cover the hole? Either the one I drilled or the one in the bottom the ring? Or have I ruined the keg? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You can block the exaust from the burner by filling the hole in the skirt with a ball of aluminum foil for a quick and dirty fix.

Depending on the keg's skirt and the position of the hole you might be able to put a short stainless nut / bolt through the skirt drain hole.

Try looking for a quick seal. They are stainless and depending on the hole you cut they make different sizes and water tight. Keep in mind you may have to open the size of the hole to accommodate the quick seal. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406822620.411068.jpg

Thanks, I was kicking around the idea of a couple washers with a bolt/nut on either side of hole on the skirt. Just not sure how they would hold up to the heat over time. I also like the idea of the plug if it is in fact water tight.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have never used one on a keg but I figure it will work. Look up online quick seal stainless plug. There is a lock washer on one side and a gasket on the other. You may want the gasket in the outside I'm not sure what it's made of ( in case it has something in it you don't want in your beer)

My BK had the fittings on the left for plugs from a previous hard plumbed immersion chiller. Kinda bulky, but it's the BK so it's never bothered me

inside
smugshot_9143588-XL.jpg

outside
smugshot_1615585-XL.jpg

Whew! I was scared all might be lost. Thanks for the great ideas guys. Oh and that's a sweet setup there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back