Dried bitter vs. fresh sweet orange peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownni5

Reaction score
Got a wit coming up. In the past when I've used citrus, I've used fresh sweet orange peel or a blend with grapefruit peel/zest. I like the results.

In Radical Brewing, Randy Mosher paints dried bitter orange as some sort of poison. Having never used it myself, I don't know what to think. Here in the upper Midwest, getting the real thing fresh ain't gonna happen, so that's out.

What's the real story here? I'm tempted to just get some dried stuff and try it for myself. Other viewpoints? Is there a noticable difference?

He certainly has an opinion, though in this take it's not quite that pathological ;)
http://allaboutbeer.com/article/is-that-an-orange-in-my-beer/

I reckon his point is dried fruit anything won't have the full spectrum and intensity of essential oils vs fresh, and it's hard to disagree.
Anyway he provides a few alternatives to the classics which might be more available this time of year. I may have to hit the big market downtown to see what's around...

Cheers!

I guess its the same with any aromatic fruits, herbs (maybe even hops ) that fresh material contains highest level and widest range of aromatic oils. Dried stuff is sometimes useful but will lack some nuances.

Back