Dried Apricot for my belgian saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbnc

Reaction score
Just brewed a partial mash belgian saison with a bit of a hop load at the end ( simcoe and hersbrucker). Bubbling nicely now 16 hours in. I'd like to add dried apricots sometime soon but don't know how soon is too soon. Any suggestions as to primary vs secondary?

Don't add to primary, put in secondary to avoid bucket or carboy bombs. Expect a 2nd fermentation in secondary, but it shouldn't be more than an inch of krausen.

Thanks for the tip. Would you suggest boiling them, StarSan or vodka for sterilization?

If I am using whole fruit, I sanitize the whole fruit skin/peel on in star san for 5 min. Just did mangos that way. I have also used bagged frozen & thawed then pitched direct into secondary no sanitizer. Dried fruit, I always use a vodka soak. Now that I am writing this out it does seem odd to use different methods but its what's worked for me. Have you ever tried using orange marmalade or apricot preserves? You need to account for the extra sugar, but its a sterile way to add fruit flavors without a lot of fuss. (not my idea Randy Mosher, Radical Brewing).

Thanks for the help! Can't wait to try it out! Will let the forum know.

honestly I would use fresh or canned, dried apricots i have found give a not so pleasant aroma and flavor to the beer. Obviously opinions will vary :)

Yep. Opinions vary. Tried both. I prefer using dried fruit. I plunged in StarSan prior to dropping them in secondary. When using fresh fruit, I froze them, then put them in secondary. There is a different aroma and flavor. Best complexity may be some of each.

I don't intend to be Captain Obvious, but note there are more sugars and i think flavor per pound with dried due to no juice.

Latest posts

Back