Dregs Starter with Pellicle - How to Pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grass Hopper

Reaction score
Just made a starter from a Jester King bottle dregs, has a nice pellicle formed and some yeast/trub collecting on bottom of Erlemeyer flask.

When I decide to brew a beer and pitch this (probably along with other yeast), how should I go about it?

Do I decant and swirl up the slurry like normal starters and let the pellicle get included? Or, should I avoid having the pellicle transfer over?

Hey, welcome to HBT!

When I decide to brew a beer and pitch this (probably along with other yeast), how should I go about it?
Let your preferred yeast complete the primary fermentation and then add some slurry from the dregs starter. The amount really isn't important.
should I avoid having the pellicle transfer over?
The pellicle doesn't matter at all.

By the way, we have a whole subforum dedicated to wild and sours:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/forums/lambic-wild-brewing.127/

Cheers!

I’ve cultured up dregs from Jester King's Noble King to make a Noble King clone. I split a 5 gallon batch half getting the Noble King culture and the other half fermented with Saison DuPont Wyeast 3724.

Both beers turned out great.

Anytime you are using mixed cultures you need to make sure your gravity is stable. I let the Noble King clone ferment for 6 weeks and it finished at 1.00

I have also done what RPh_Guy suggested and pitched a primary yeast and then added the culture. I’ve even had good luck just pitching bottle dregs after primary fermentation. I usually use Jester King Petite Prince for this since it is a low ABV beer so the yeast and bacteria are not stressed.

Back