Dramatic loss of flavor and aroma, any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pduffy

Reaction score
Hey, folks, as the thread describes, I brewed an APA recently and I am experiencing a confusing and depressing thing. Everything in the brew went smooth as any other brew, gravities were on point, temps were good, hops pitched at the right time using only cascade and citra. I fermented with 1056 at 66F in my fridge and when I went to check the gravity about 5 days ago, it was down to its terminal gravity and had incredible flavor and aroma. I racked it two days ago and have it sitting at room temp (73F) and I just went to check and see how it was clearing up, so I pulled a sample. Nothing. No aroma and no real flavor at all. Is this a temperature issue, or what might be a factor in why my brew is lacking all over the place?

Did you dry hop it? I dry hop my IPAs with 3-4 ounces. Best thing for aroma! Also, when were your hop additions added?

Ive found it good practice not to judge a brew before its carbonted. Unless it very infected. However, gcdowd has a point since its a APA you could easily dry hop to get some more hop aroma.

Ive found it good practice not to judge a brew before its carbonted. Unless it very infected. However, gcdowd has a point since its a APA you could easily dry hop to get some more hop aroma.

Haha I actually didn't even realize the OP said APA and not IPA. Either way, you ate also correct. Carbonation will release hop aroma

Flat, green beer does not come close to carbed, "ready" beer.

I can't tell you how many posts I read of people trying to diagnose what's wrong with their beer when it turns out that they are trying to judge a gravity sample or somesuch. Wait till its carbed before you do that.

That was my plan, I figured as much, though I just wanted some feedback. Thanks guys, I'll report back with anything when it is carbonated.

Flat, green beer does not come close to carbed, "ready" beer.

I can't tell you how many posts I read of people trying to diagnose what's wrong with their beer when it turns out that they are trying to judge a gravity sample or somesuch. Wait till its carbed before you do that.

THIS THIS THIS......Don't sweat what it's tasting like in a fermenter. You beer has a LONG journey to go to. And like how a butterfly goes through several phases before it takes flight, it's the same with the beer.

You may have "liked" the beer where it was at, but you'll more than likely LOVE where the beer will be when all the flavors have married together.

Latest posts

Back