Draft Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

63belair

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on the type of wine they are trying to serve. Anything sparkling (ie champagne, prosecco, cava, etc) they will use the same setup as beer. For traditional reds and whites they use inert gasses. Typically they use nitrogen because it's easily accessible, doesn't oxidize wine, and at atmospheric pressure, isn't soluble in the wine. Keep in mind that they will only pressurize the system just enough to force the wine through the system

Some that I have seen used either bags that pressure could be exerted against, or some sort of vessel that had a plunger in it, keeping the wine from being exposed to pressurized gasses.

From what I understand, it usually works like how boxed wine is set up- as the wine is drained out of the faucet, the bag inside shrinks like a CarpiSun juice box .

Here is the skinny at the end of the article.

Paste:

How much CO2 should be used in the dispensing gas? It depends on the temperature of the wine and the pressure of the gas within the keg. Since we’re dispensing wine under relatively low pressures, and assuming that the wines will not be served above 60˚ F, a readily available premixed gas of 75% N2, 25% CO2 works pretty well (this premixed gas is often used for Guinness and other nitrogenated ales).

End of paste

Misplaced_Canuck said:
It would be simpler (in a way, I guess) to use CO2 to only push the wine out and have a pressure release mechanism to prevent the pressure from always being in the keg.

M_C

Tell me more... Is this something you would shut off to dispense and turn on to release pressure? I wonder how much co2 you would waste (bleed). You could probably keep it down by keeping line lengths short.

I keg my wines as well, I had seen the same articles. Eventually, I'll get a nitrogen or nitrogen co2 blend tank for it. (I was hoping to get my 2.5 pound tank filled with nitrogen, but I think I'd need a different regulator setup).

At present, I use co2 at a very low pressure (2 psi or less) to push out my wine and when I'm finished,I disconnect the air and vent as much as I can with the pressure relief valve. I do feel like I'm wasting a bit of co2 since i have to do this, and the effort is somewhat annoying.
However, I have picnic taps right now, I have to open the keezer anyways so it's only a few extra steps. Because of this same situation, I disconnect my tank and bev line, so I'm not worried about any additional co2 mixing in with the wine. I have to disconnect the air line since there's no room for the tank, and the line would keep the keezer door propped open. I just disconnect the beverage line since I don't want the picnic tap accidentally being pressed.

Things may be slightly different when I get the collar and taps going, but I'd still twist the pressure down and vent it if I'm using co2.

Using nitrogen is a fantastic idea. Also gives another use to people who already have a nitro stout setup.

I've got apple wine and blackberry on tap. I use a secondary regulator set at 2 psi to push it. I use the same setup for cask ales. Fails the purity test, but who cares?

I've got apple wine and blackberry on tap. I use a secondary regulator set at 2 psi to push it. I use the same setup for cask ales. Fails the purity test, but who cares?

My thoughts exactly. My things are cheap. 60-120 per 5 gallon keg. If I ever look at things that would be beyond that price range in quality, (you know, like buying wine when a vineyard/winery is bottling and having them put some into my keg, or having my own winery with quality grapes, or had a resturant that could use kegs) then I'd definately be using Nitrogen, or Argon, or some other sort of gas.

Latest posts

Back