Draft line jumpers to clean draft lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen pictures here somewhere of draft lines jumpered to recirculate line cleaner. How is the physical connection to the faucet connector made? Are there connectors/adapters available to connect a line between two draft lines with faucets removed?

I have seen pictures here somewhere of draft lines jumpered to recirculate line cleaner. How is the physical connection to the faucet connector made? Are there connectors/adapters available to connect a line between two draft lines with faucets removed?
Couldn't some flexible silicone hose that slips over the taps themselves work? Granted, not alot of pressure can be used.

That probably would work, but I was hoping for a connector or adapter that would allow you to connect a jumper line directly to the shanks on 2 lines after the faucets are removed for cleaning.

I'd be pulling the faucets and couplers or QDs apart and soaking in PBW (or better yet caustic BLC) while the lines are being cleaned.

The end hardware of the line is the dirtiest place. If you don't clean that properly, why bother cleaning lines at all?

I don't see how soaking a faucet in blc would be superior to running hot-ish blc through it for 20 minutes.

I use a pumped manifold at the keg ends that all the qds plug into and drain lines around each faucet spout as returns. Let the pump recirculate all six runs end to end in parallel. The one time I disassembled a faucet it was spotless...

Cheers!

I don't see how soaking a faucet in blc would be superior to running hot-ish blc through it for 20 minutes.

I use a pumped manifold at the keg ends that all the qds plug into and drain lines around each faucet spout as returns. Let the pump recirculate all six runs end to end in parallel. The one time I disassembled a faucet it was spotless...

Cheers!
It's the "pulling apart" that's key. Taking off and soaking intact, you're right. But pull it apart and all the fittings and spots constricted by gaskets get a better clean.

Plus visual inspection and scrubbing if necessary. If you're routine with it it shouldn't be necessary (unless you pulled a bunch of gunk out of a keg).

I don't follow. You don't take faucets apart so you do it more often? Or taking things apart would discourage you from cleaning lines at all?

Taking apart and reassembling a faucet or quick disconnect takes seconds (a sanke coupler barely more just because the gaskets can be a pain).

Cleaning the lines themselves is a lot more labor.

Especially if you're gonna do what the OP is doing and recirc all the lines with a pump (which I don't see too many homebrewers do, far more common at bars).

If you're just pushing from a keg into the line and doing a static soak and need those parts connected to push/hold BLC into the lines then I guess I could see the added step being too much a pain. But if you're pulling em off anyway or can do it concurrently, there's zero excuse not to.

I don't follow. You don't take faucets apart so you do it more often? Or taking things apart would discourage you from cleaning lines at all?

Taking apart and reassembling a faucet or quick disconnect takes seconds (a sanke coupler barely more just because the gaskets can be a pain).

Cleaning the lines themselves is a lot more labor.

Especially if you're gonna do what the OP is doing and recirc all the lines with a pump (which I don't see too many homebrewers do, far more common at bars).

If you're just pushing from a keg into the line and doing a static soak and need those parts connected to push/hold BLC into the lines then I guess I could see the added step being too much a pain. But if you're pulling em off anyway or can do it concurrently, there's zero excuse not to.

Right. I was specifically referring to a multi-tap setup whether a bar or taproom, or a home setup. When cleaning beer lines, I do not feel comfortable not removing, and disassembling faucets for cleaning.

What about direction of flow? It is recommended that the flow of cleaner be counter to the normal flow of beer through the lines. To do this with a loop back setup, you could push the cleaner fluid through one line and out the other, then switch.

Id venture that all my components are cleaner by not taking anything apart precisely because It means I do it more often.
There are many more places for contaminants to build up in faucets than in beer lines. My thinking used to be like yours in that respect, but after disassembling connectors and faucets and finding gunk after cleaning that way, I changed my cleaning regimen. You just can't beat the degree of cleaning you get by disassembling parts.

Why not leave the faucets in place and clean them inline?
A beer faucet is not a single part. Disassembly and cleaning separately, allows for more complete cleaning. If you don't believe me, do it your way, then after say 3 cleanings, take your faucets apart and inspect them under a good magnifier. You can also soak them in Desanamax, which will give a clear indication if they are clean: https://www.williamsbrewing.com/TM-DESANAMAX-P3368.aspx

A beer faucet is not a single part. Disassembly and cleaning separately, allows for more complete cleaning. If you don't believe me, do it your way, then after say 3 cleanings, take your faucets apart and inspect them under a good magnifier. You can also soak them in Desanamax, which will give a clear indication if they are clean: https://www.williamsbrewing.com/TM-DESANAMAX-P3368.aspx

I wasn't familiar with this company. Seems they make a number of products with that color indicator. Suppose I'll be reaching out to them at some point.

Cheers

Everyone has their own way of doing things, but sometimes old dogs CAN learn new tricks. If you keep an open mind, there is often something new that can make your brew or brew day better. We all have egos, but I like to think that we are here to help one another, and offer what we can to help or inspire. Otherwise, what's the point?

It shouldn't matter too much as long as it's moving.
Some say it does, same as cleaning a plate chiller. Sure, if particles are hanging on and suspended in one direction, they will, or should eventually detach. But if they are forced in the counter direction, detachment should occur more rapidly.

You really shouldn't be getting anywhere NEAR the buildup in lines that you would in a plate chiller.

BUT if switching directions is doable for you, by all means, even if it's a small gain I only imagine it'd help.

I put together a setup with a small pump that recirculates hot/warm BLC though each line for 15 minutes each. I have four lines and I leaved the Perlick 630SS faucets in place as recommended by Perlick. I'm looking to streamline this process by looping all the lines together to get it done in 15 minutes flat.

I found this gizmo https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/ball_lock_jumperpost.htm which will connect two beer lines together so I can daisy chain my setup and get the job done quick.

I've been wondering if it's worth taking the faucets off every now and then.

I put together a setup with a small pump that recirculates hot/warm BLC though each line for 15 minutes each. I have four lines and I leaved the Perlick 630SS faucets in place as recommended by Perlick. I'm looking to streamline this process by looping all the lines together to get it done in 15 minutes flat.

I found this gizmo https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/ball_lock_jumperpost.htm which will connect two beer lines together so I can daisy chain my setup and get the job done quick.

I would. I like to soak mine in a strong dose PBW.

I use a sodium hydroxide (caustic) BLC and soak parts in that.

I'm not familiar with what Perlick recommends, and if you're comfortable cleaning faucets in place, by all means help yourself.

But MicroMatic (the company that makes half the draft equipment and like 90% of the keg valves on the planet) recommends (if you pay for and sit through one of their professional draft maintenance courses) a full break down of all hardware on a 2 wk interval with every cleaning.

I like Micromatic's recommendation to do a full break down of parts. It's about the only way you can guarantee that all the little nooks and crannies have been fully cleaned.

Just ordered this connector, it is going to save me a lot of time. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back