Downey Mildew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcashwe1

Reaction score
Hoping someone can assist a newb in identifying whats plaguing a few of my hop plants. The pics aren't the best but essentially the leaves have been turning yellow and discolored with spots. The tips of the hop bines have turned brown, opened up and stopped growing. These things were racing up the ropes at first and now have completely halted. Based on some preliminary research it seems it could be a Downy Mildew issue. If so, what next and how do I prevent this in the future. Thanks

Jim

unnamed.jpg

20140506_065804.jpg

20140506_065811.jpg

Hoping someone can assist a newb in identifying whats plaguing a few of my hop plants. The pics aren't the best but essentially the leaves have been turning yellow and discolored with spots. The tips of the hop bines have turned brown, opened up and stopped growing. These things were racing up the ropes at first and now have completely halted. Based on some preliminary research it seems it could be a Downy Mildew issue. If so, what next and how do I prevent this in the future. Thanks

Jim

Underside of the leaves?

Thanks for the feedback. Honestly, the underside of the leaves doesn't look too bad. My primary concern is the fact that the tips have all seemed to turn brown and almost shrivel up... Complete growth stoppage and while one of the plants was beginning to develop early cones a few weeks back, it has now stopped. Thinking about chopping them down which is a shame as they are probably 10' by now.

Thanks for the feedback. Honestly, the underside of the leaves doesn't look too bad. My primary concern is the fact that the tips have all seemed to turn brown and almost shrivel up... Complete growth stoppage and while one of the plants was beginning to develop early cones a few weeks back, it has now stopped. Thinking about chopping them down which is a shame as they are probably 10' by now.

Having a picture of the underside of the leaves would let us now whether or not you have downy mildew. If you do, it is much harder to deal with than other issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hard to tell from the picture but it sure doesn't look like downy. From my experience, you'll usually see some of the shoots coming right off of the crown that will be affected first. They usually look stunted/compressed (compared to an unaffected one nearby, examine them closely to see the differences) and they generally have a lime-green color compared to a darker green on a healthy one. Once you see those, under the right conditions, the disease can spread further to some of the higher up portions of the plant. The growing tip on your picture looks more 'bleached' than what a mildew infected tip would. Here's a little more info: http://www.uvm.edu/extension/cropsoil/wp-content/uploads/DownyMildew.pdf.

Again, I'm going with it not being a mildew problem but unfortunately it doesn't look like something easily diagnosable from here either. Sorry.

Back