Doubt about first SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maycon Oliveira

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing a SMaSH IPA for my 3rd beer, and I planned one with Maris Otter + Huell Mellon + a harvested US-05. I know that the Maris Otter may give too much of a malty contribution to the beer, but I want to experiment with it. What I'm a litte bit concerned about is the Huell Mellon hops. I looked it up and the general impression is that it is much too subtle for an IPA. I was thinking 50g on flame out + 50g of dry hop (10L batch). I was going to use some of my leftover Hallertau Magnum for bittering, even though that goes against the SMaSH idea, but just for the sake of saving money and using my stored hops. Any ideas about the Melon? Should I try another hop? Should I try a different style instead?

And, another question: do I need DME to make a starter from my harvested yeast? Or can I do it in other ways? Ingredients here in Brazil can be quite expensive so I was thinking about saving some money. Thanks in advance!

As to the hops, whatever you want, brewing is all about experimenting...but to answer your question about using DME to make a starter. There is away around that...you can do what is called a "viability starter". After you mash, pour off some of the wort for a starter (I usually take about 1/2 a liter)...then boil this separately like a normal starter, let it cool and add the harvested yeast. If you have a stir plate, let it go for 4 hours before pitching, otherwise just give it a stir every 15 min for 4 hours. Then pitch away.

As to the hops, whatever you want, brewing is all about experimenting...but to answer your question about using DME to make a starter. There is away around that...you can do what is called a "viability starter". After you mash, pour off some of the wort for a starter (I usually take about 1/2 a liter)...then boil this separately like a normal starter, let it cool and add the harvested yeast. If you have a stir plate, let it go for 4 hours before pitching, otherwise just give it a stir every 15 min for 4 hours. Then pitch away.
That idea seems pretty interesting, never heard about it. Do you mind giving me more details about that technique. For example, my boil takes way less than 4 hours. Should I do a longer cooling to wait for the yeast or what? And can I use that started yeast that same day, for that batch? Thanks in advance!

That idea seems pretty interesting, never heard about it. Do you mind giving me more details about that technique. For example, my boil takes way less than 4 hours. Should I do a longer cooling to wait for the yeast or what? And can I use that started yeast that same day, for that batch? Thanks in advance!

I suppose you could pitch it in less than four hours, but it's about letting the yeast cells grow somewhat. But where you are using harvested yeast, you already have a large number of cells most likely. What I do is just boil my beer, cool it and then after the 4 hours on the stir plate, then pitch the yeast...your beer would be fine if you don't pitch immediately after cooling.

Yes, you can use the yeast that day. It works even if it was new pack of yeast and not harvested yeast. Sure it's not growing the exact number of yeast cells you need, but it's giving them a head start.

I learned about it on this site... http://brulosophy.com/2015/06/29/ye...e-cell-count-vs-vitality-exbeeriment-results/

If you read the results, they made two of the same beer, one with a normal starter and one with a viability starter, and taste testers could not tell the difference and both beers fermented down to the same final gravity.

I suppose you could pitch it in less than four hours, but it's about letting the yeast cells grow somewhat. But where you are using harvested yeast, you already have a large number of cells most likely. What I do is just boil my beer, cool it and then after the 4 hours on the stir plate, then pitch the yeast...your beer would be fine if you don't pitch immediately after cooling.

Yes, you can use the yeast that day. It works even if it was new pack of yeast and not harvested yeast. Sure it's not growing the exact number of yeast cells you need, but it's giving them a head start.

I learned about it on this site... http://brulosophy.com/2015/06/29/ye...e-cell-count-vs-vitality-exbeeriment-results/

If you read the results, they made two of the same beer, one with a normal starter and one with a viability starter, and taste testers could not tell the difference and both beers fermented down to the same final gravity.
Thanks a lot, IllI try that out!

Back