Doubling up the steep grains, what are the possible end results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankdontsurf

Reaction score
Malt Base: 5 lbs Wheat Dry Malt Extract OR 6 lbs Wheat Liquid Malt Extract
Specialty Grains: ½ lb Flaked Wheat, 1/2 lb Flaked Oats
Hops: 1 oz Hallertau Hop Pellets(bittering)
Yeast: White Labs 300 Hefeweizen, Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan

What would happen if I used a full pound each of the flaked wheat/oats? Also is the recipe calling for BOTH yeasts to be pitched? You guys that like hefeweizen prefer DME or LME?

I always prefer DME over liquid malt extract.

Select just one yeast. They are offering options.

Using more steeping grain would result in more flavor from those elements. There may be a negligible amount of fermentable sugars added.

You need some 2-row to go along with the flaked wheat and oats.
Wheat malt extract does include barley. For example Briess Bavarian wheat DME is 65% wheat with 35% barley, perfect for a weizen.

I would skip the steeping grains entirely.

I would skip the steeping grains entirely.
Me too, because... those aren't steeping grains! :tank:
They need to be mashed with a diastatic malt as @Steveruch said:
You need some 2-row to go along with the flaked wheat and oats.
As others said, I'd use the DME over LME. It keeps better.

Although LME would be fine as long as it's (very) fresh, you never know with cans. Best by dates mean very little as to how it has been stored.

Without some base malt to mix with the oats and flaked wheat you will get a lot of extra unconverted starch that will cloud your wort and shorten the shelf life of your beer.
Second, the extra steeping grains will throw the hopping levels off and you would need to adjust upwards or boil longer to compensate.

Back