Double tall keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubadude918

Reaction score
Has anyone tried splicing two kegs together to make one 30gal boil kettle? If so would silver solder be strong enough?

I think you would be better with a wider, less tall option, but I could see this being done by a skilled TIG welder. I'm afraid silver solder would be difficult to do and would probably not hold up well unless the boiler were completely stationery.

Solder likes to run. You can't just "Place it" like weld. It just tends to flow. If you made a piece to go between the kegs to support and hold the solder, then it might be possible. For the cost of used kegs and the work I think it would be easier to find a large used kettle somewhere. I know I've seen 20 gallon pots before.

OR, you could find a good, clean Stainless Barrel and convert it. In that case it would only require cutting and maybe welding a handle or two on it.

Amazon has an abundance of 120qt stock pots for $100-150 if you aren't wed to steel. Many with prime shipping.

I would be scared ****less of a double-tall keggle, in about ten different ways.

Yeah, hearing it from someone else, I guess it'd be a little frightening with a 4 foot tall tower of boiling wort.

And yeah, I just looked at amazon. Fairly inexpensive large aluminum stock pots.

I guess the main reason was it's easier to store a thinner "pot"

I think I'm going to be in the market for an 80qt when I come into some scratch. Along with some used bulk LME barrels from the LHBS for fermenters it may be a cheap and easy way to brew 1/2bbl batches for my sanke. What I really want is one broad enough to fit over four gas stove burners so I can skip the LP (using two now). Then we can all strip down and use my kitchen as a sauna.

Hah, with just a 5 gal batch my kitchen gets pretty steamy! I could only imagine a 1/2bbl indoors....

Yeah, my wife is not entirely cool with it but I am getting away with it for now. Let's see how that changes when it's A/C weather...

Back