Double Strength Ale: All Grain, Basic Recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turricaine

Reaction score
Use half ingredients for a single strength during summer months.

Ingredients:
  1. 6kg pale malted barley.
  2. 250g crystal malt.
  3. 25L filtered water
  4. 60g of Bittering hops (~6% E.g. Progress, Cascade, Golding or Fuggles).
  5. 60g of Aroma Hops for finishing
Directions:

Transfer the grains into the mash bag and immerse with water until the grains are well covered. The temperature needs to be maintained at 64ºC for β-amylase; although another blogger claims he usually goes to ~70ºC since this is α-amylase enzyme. The wort should be very sugary tasting by 60-90 minutes.

Collect the wort.

W/o the original rotating sparge arm, manual sparging was performed using kettle heated water directed from a garden sprayer lance in the form of a fine mist. According to theory, a fine mist of steamy water leads to a greater extraction of sugars, although because the whole process is slow a lot of people skip this because they don't have the patience to wait >90 minutes. Apparently 10% yield or more can be lost if rushing it.

Add the bittering hops and heat the water to boiling, then simmer for 1 hr.

Collect the wort, then leave it overnight. At the next morning, throw the yeast from the last keg into the bucket, then add the dry hops into the keg (i used a special dry hopping bag i bought on ebay from Hong Kong). Leave the bucket for at least 21 days, then transfer to the keg for finishing off carbonation secondary until clear.

Last edited:
There are quite a few irregularities (or deviations from the norm) in the described processes compared to today's ways of doing things... :tank:

Is this from an old recipe or something?

One thing I noticed, when making smaller beers you can't simply cut the ingredients in half.

There are quite a few irregularities (or deviations from the norm) in the described processes compared to today's ways of doing things... :tank:

Is this from an old recipe or something?

One thing I noticed, when making smaller beers you can't simply cut the ingredients in half.
It reads like a recipe from a fifty year old homebrewing book, but with a bunch of anachronisms like mentions of blogs, eBay, and (purported) best brewing practices, the former two of which didn't exist back then and the latter, from what I've occasionally seen shared here, being largely ignored in the homebrew literature of the day...

@Turricaine, did you already brew this recipe or are you asking for input?

These are surely curious methods for 2019:
Let wort sit overnight?
Using yeast from a previous keg?
Adding 'dry hops' to that now empty keg and let them wait and sit in there for 3 weeks?
Leave the bucket for at least 21 days, then transfer to the keg for finishing off carbonation secondary until clear.
Was this run through an auto-translator?

I love the fact that you didn't just say, "It turned out sour," but you went out of your way to say, "it is this type of beer" and gave a link to the Wikipedia article for "sour beer".

Indeed, it is highly likely that it turned out sour as a result of poor sanitation and/or repitching the yeast from the previous batch. Probably a combo of both where the yeast from your last batch got infected.

Is it drinkable or loaded with off-flavors? What hops did you dry hop with?

Back