Double IPA attempt... Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_Pete

Reaction score
Ok for the past few days I've been obsessed with coming up with my own extract Double IPA recipe. Since this would be my first non kit beer, I was wondering if I could get some feedback.

Boil 5.5gal
1lb Crystal Grain Malt 20L
3lbs Light-DME (MoreBeer.com)
6lbs Light-LME (MoreBeer.com)

1oz Amarillo 60min
1oz Cascade 60 min
1oz Cascade 30min
2oz Amarillo 30min
1oz Cascade 15min

Safale US-05

Dry Hop 3 day later after boil for 7 days with:
1oz. Amarillo
1oz. Cascade

Expected ABV 7.3%

Feedback appreciated :mug:

I would drop the crystal and add some sugar in its place to help dry out the beer, this will help to accentuate the hops even more. The US-05 is very attenuative so it is a good choice for getting a dry beer. You might also up the gravity alcohol a bit if you really want a DIPA and not just a big IPA.

I would also add some hops close to the end of the boil. The DIPA I did a couple weeks back had 5 oz at flame out (plus 6 oz of dry hops in two installments). I also like to wait longer before dry hopping, the more yeast you have in suspension the less pickup you will get from the beer. Amarillo and cascade should be a nice combo, you just need more if you really want a hop forward beer.

Good luck, and be extra careful of oxidizing the beer, something that will hurt a hoppy beer more than any other style.

I would drop the crystal and add some sugar in its place to help dry out the beer, this will help to accentuate the hops even more. The US-05 is very attenuative so it is a good choice for getting a dry beer. You might also up the gravity alcohol a bit if you really want a DIPA and not just a big IPA.

I would also add some hops close to the end of the boil. The DIPA I did a couple weeks back had 5 oz at flame out (plus 6 oz of dry hops in two installments). I also like to wait longer before dry hopping, the more yeast you have in suspension the less pickup you will get from the beer. Amarillo and cascade should be a nice combo, you just need more if you really want a hop forward beer.

Good luck, and be extra careful of oxidizing the beer, something that will hurt a hoppy beer more than any other style.

When you say drop the Crystal are you suggesting taking it out completely or making it a smaller amount and adding either more DME or LME?

You do make a good point about adding more hops. I'll rethink adding more towards the end of the boil as well as more in the dry hopping stage.

Also, what was the final ABV and IBU of your double IPA?

Mine was 1.071 > 1.010 (~8% ABV) and even that is right on the boarderline according to the BJCP, but I think it qualifies since it is pretty close to Pliny the Elder. The IBUs calculated out to ~170, but that is just theoretical it was probably closer to 80 or 90. Here is the recipe if you want any other info on it: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/02/big-ipa-recipe-1-lb-of-hops.html

You could drop the crystal completely or just reduce it. Extract often has lower fermentability so I tend to leave crystal out when I brew with it, but a bit of crystal would probably be fine with US-05 if you want a bit of extra body/sweetness. I used both carapils and candi sugar in mine (.75 lbs each), but it was all-grain.

Mine was 1.071 > 1.010 (~8% ABV) and even that is right on the boarderline according to the BJCP, but I think it qualifies since it is pretty close to Pliny the Elder. The IBUs calculated out to ~170, but that is just theoretical it was probably closer to 80 or 90. Here is the recipe if you want any other info on it: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/02/big-ipa-recipe-1-lb-of-hops.html

You could drop the crystal completely or just reduce it. Extract often has lower fermentability so I tend to leave crystal out when I brew with it, but a bit of crystal would probably be fine with US-05 if you want a bit of extra body/sweetness. I used both carapils and candi sugar in mine (.75 lbs each), but it was all-grain.

WOW that is a lot of hops!

I've taken your advice on mixing in some extra sugar. I'm using "BrewPal" iphone software app to formulate the recipe. Here's what I've come up with so far...

1 lb Crystal 40L (Steep For 25min)

Then add:
6lb Light LME
3 lb Light DME
1lb Dry Sugar Cane

1oz Cascade (60min)
1oz Amarillo (60 min)
2oz Cascade (30 min)
2oz Amarillo (30min)
2oz Cascade (15min)
1tsp Irish Moss (15min)

Safale US-05

Dry Hop 7 days after boil.
1oz Amarillo
1oz Cascade

Force carb 14 days later.

With this line up, the ABV is 8.1% with a 95 IBU. (roughly)

I know it's probably not even close to "other" Double IPA's out there but considering this is my first recipe, I want to have a good starting point and have room for improvement later on. I just want to make sure this wont be a complete disaster brewing.

I think that will be fine. although I would move some of the 30 min hops to flame-out to help with the hop aroma. Dry hops do add aroma, but it is a different "fresher" (for lack of a better term) character than hops at the end of the boil. You can move some of the 30 min hops back to 60 if you want to compensate for the IBUs, mid-boil hops are the least essentially element of a hoppy beer.

I agree that you need more late hopping. And I'd say 2oz of dry hops is kinda tame for a double IPA.

I like the flavor of crystal so I say leave it in, but getting some completely fermentable sugar in there is a good idea so this beer isn't too syrupy. I'd say replace anywhere from .5-1.5# of DME with the same amount of table sugar.

Back