Double Expired Coopers Pilsner Brew Journal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelScime

Reaction score
Ok guys so some of you may have lingered on my other thread for getting suggestions about this brew and now its done. I tried my best to keep everything sterile and kept probably 80% sterile. I used White Labs Pilsner yeast and 2 cans of the expired malt to each batch(2).

Day One

Carb 1:
23L Glass Carb
3 Piece air lock

So what I did was got 4L of boiling water put the 2 cans in and then mixed it in as I poured. Once dissolved I poured it into the carb with a funnel. One mistake I think I may have made was I did not sterilize the jug I used. I then pumped cold water into the carb to get it down to temp. After pumping it too 20L the carb felt hotter at the bottom but the liquid felt room temp so I put in the yeast. I put the sterile air lock and bung on.

Carb 1:
23L Glass Carb
3 Piece air lock

So what I did was got 4L of boiling water put the 2 cans in and then mixed it in as I poured. Once dissolved I poured it into the carb with a funnel. I did sterilize the jug I used and sort of sterilized the auto siphon . I then pumped cold water into the carb to get it down to temp. After pumping it too 20L the carb felt warm at the bottom but the liquid felt room temp so I put in the yeast. I put the sterile air lock and bung on.

Both carbs have what looks to be yeast growing at the bottom, no visible bubbling but sure it will happen soon when the pressure builds up.

Hope thats a good through update, will keep y'all noted on this when some action happens!

Michael:mug:

Day 2: Primary fermentation
So both carbs are going great, yeast growth at bottom and foam at top. One thing concerns me there is like the light brown foam but like ripples of dark brown in it; is this good or bad? They are releasing gas every 2 seconds on average. Its in mighty fine conditions to me right now (around 73 degrees today and in my dark pantry). Getting very excited to see all this happen in front of me and looks like a real real dark beer, nearly black :) (due to kits being old and doubling up).

One question I have is how do I know when its time for secondary?
And what is that dark brown stuff in the foam?
Maybe as well how do I harvest yeast?

Will update y'all tomorrow :)
Thanks guys and happy brewing!
Mike!

Did you use Lager yeast? 73 degrees is very high for a lager yeast and will probably result in some funky flavors.

Day 2: Primary fermentation
So both carbs are going great, yeast growth at bottom and foam at top. One thing concerns me there is like the light brown foam but like ripples of dark brown in it; is this good or bad? They are releasing gas every 2 seconds on average. Its in mighty fine conditions to me right now (around 73 degrees today and in my dark pantry). Getting very excited to see all this happen in front of me and looks like a real real dark beer, nearly black :) (due to kits being old and doubling up).

One question I have is how do I know when its time for secondary?
And what is that dark brown stuff in the foam?
Maybe as well how do I harvest yeast?

Will update y'all tomorrow :)
Thanks guys and happy brewing!
Mike!

The darker brown ripples in the foam isn't anything to worry about. I think it's just dry edges when the light bubbles break.

I would skip the secondary unless you plan on a long term bulk aging, it's just another chance of infection or oxidation.

Google yeast washing, there are a few threads that walk you through the process with lots of pictures.

Back