Double Brew Day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wables

Reaction score
I finally got up the nerve to try two 10 gallon AG batches at once last night. One batch was Haus Ale (first time) and the other was an Amber. I used my 2 tier keggle system and a 36 qt. coleman extreme cooler to mash the second batch. As normal, I heated my "first batch" strike water in the mash keggle, but I also heated the "second batch" strike water in the HLT. I then completed the mash and sparge of the first batch as normal. As soon as the sparge was done, I refilled and heated the HLT, cleaned the spent grains out of the mash keggle, then used the mash keggle as the second boil keggle. The result? A second batch of beer by extending the brew day by 40 minutes!!!! The only issue was an 18 # grain bill is really pushing the envelope for the 36 qt cooler. I only had 1/4" to spare with 1.25 qt/#. I have always batched sparged, but I ended up making a sparge arm system to do the hybrid sparge method.

I would definitely do it again. Probably every time that I brew from now on. 3X is too much for me because I only have 4 primaries and 4 secondaries. I would imagine that 3rd batch would add 1 more hour with my current set-up.

Latest posts

Back