Dortmunder for YouTube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LikeFunGuy

Reaction score
I'm sure those of you who love Dorts are familiar with this recipe

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/BlatzDortmunderGold

Well, this is my favorite style. I've brewed some pilsners and märzens and a cheaters Vienna lager (kölsch yeast fermenting cold) but never a dort. So a few questions, I'd like opinions on.

This is for a YouTube video to help grow the audience for my podcast so I'd like to show a decoction mash and throw half of the brew over a non-lager yeast neither of which is called for in this recipe. I get mixed messages as to whether a decoction really DOES anything. The chemist in me says, more heat, more caramelization so, adjust the grain bill (less Munich?) A few brewer's have told me not to bother.

The batch will be split (more for the podcast ) to see if people without lagering capability can try this and have it turn out well. I've had success with kölsch yeast in the past, running the ferment a couple degrees below the recommended range. Is there something else people can recommend, things you've tried in pilsnear recipes would be good.

Other suggestions would be nice as well, things you want to see done with the style, etc...

I will give mentions on the video if we use your idea!

www.likefuncast.com

That water profile looks spot on. I had to make a water profile for this style for the water portion of a class I took on raw materials. I double decoct all my lagers. The one thing I learned is to NOT do a decoction and a melanoiden in the same recipe. The fear I have of leaving the mash at 122* for the time it takes to do the first pull is too long and might screw up the head forming proteins. So I mash in for 122 at a 1:1 grist to water, then add boiling water to get to 143, then pull, do the deal, rest at 150 or so, then pull,do the deal,rest at 160 or so(Iseem to have an issue getting more then 10 to 12 degrees out of each pull). As for yeast I like wlp833 and wyeast 2565 for the split. In fact I make my house ale(Kolsch) and use 2.5 gal as a step in the 833 starter that I keg instead of down the drain. And then repitch for the rest of the lagers. I use my garage for lagering and it's almost time-can't wait.

Thanks! Yes, I plan on briefly explaining building water up from RO and reading a water report. Good to know the profile they give is familiar.

Would you recommend any adjustments to the grain bill, knowing it calls for a single infusion, when I plan to do a single decoction or emulate your double decoction. I guess I'm worried about getting too much caramelization, from a recipe that doesn't call for the extra boiling.

I think if you use the floor malted Bohemian pilsner you should do a decoction and stay away from the melinoiden malt. If you plan on using a fully modified pils then a single infusion with some melinoiden. I did some mashout decoctions and could not tell the difference and went to a the double one I use now,and I think it makes a difference. It doesn't make it carmely just more intense grain flavor.

Back