Dopplebock 1/2 batch step up with 2L flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbrett

Reaction score
Less than a year experience. I'm going to try a 2.5 gal batch dopplebock. OG 1.088. FG 1.020
Recipe says to pitch twice normal amount of healthy yeast. I have a 2L flask and a smack pack. Can I get away with using 1 smack pack and stepping it up? (which I've never done and leads me to another dilemma!) Something like make starter, chill, decant and add more wort. Will have to read up if I can do that.

Mr. Malty says w/ 1 pack should be a 4.13L starter. Or with 2 packs a 1.66L. I'm over an hour away from my HBS. Help!!! Thx.

You can do a step up. Or, I bought a 1 gallon jug and use that for my lager starters. It isn't flat bottomed, so it takes a little effort to get it going, but once the bar is spinning on the stir plate, never had issues.

If you're going to do big lagers, a stir plate is a good buy, if you, like me, don't have the time or innate ability to make one.

Back