Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is why i still bottle
A leaking CO2 cylinder on the "set and forget" is very similar to bottling a batch and when you're done and proud of yourself for doing it in record time, spilling very little beer, wife's happy, time is great, everything is smooth, packing away your gear...

And you then realize you forgot the priming sugar.

A leaking CO2 cylinder on the "set and forget" is very similar to bottling a batch and when you're done and proud of yourself for doing it in record time, spilling very little beer, wife's happy, time is great, everything is smooth, packing away your gear...

And you then realize you forgot the priming sugar.
first of all ,i got away from using priming sugar a few years ago. i use saved unfermented wort added back at bottling. i figure out how much i need per gravity , pour half my saved amount in the bottling bucket before draining the fermenter to the bucket. it swirls it gently to mix as it fills. at the end i add the rest of the saved wort to the correct volume per gravity. give that a gentle swirl with a sanitized ss spoon and im bottling. i've never had a dud bottle either. So ,no, its nowhere near similar to kegging.

I was making a joke, considering the tone and idea of the thread, but OK, if you apparently want to take it personally that's fine. Enjoy your bottling.
you know, its very hard to know when someone is joking through a keyboard and computer. ive had many a conversation with others who were and are dead serious about the kegging vs bottling debate. I just thought you were one of them. No harm , no foul. enjoy your brewing.

you know, its very hard to know when someone is joking through a keyboard and computer. ive had many a conversation with others who were and are dead serious about the kegging vs bottling debate. I just thought you were one of them. No harm , no foul. enjoy your brewing.
I understand, sorry for jumping to conclusions. For future reference, if you see my posts, assume from the get-go I'm not a very serious person. I'm relaxed and chill and very, very rarely approach a situation with the intent of making a ruckus or starting an argument.

Again, sorry for the conclusions, and as you said, no harm, no foul. :bigmug:

When you're reading HBT, and someone posts something that you disagree with, so you tell them how wrong they are, and then they tell you they were only joking, but now everybody's mad at each other, and you have a new sworn enemy.

Don't. Do. That.

P.S. This post is ABSOLUTELY in jest. I love seeing guys shake hands like @Soulshine2 and @Toxxyc after a misunderstanding. If only we could do more of that in real life. DO. Do. That.

I just got a new mini-regulator to use with a paint ball CO2 tank. When I went to put put the regulator on the CO2 tank to test it, it started leaking CO2 where the regulator connected to the tank. I used my bare hand to try and tighten it further to stop the leak and when that didn't work, I used my bare hand to try and undo it and remove the regulator. I ended up freezing the palm of my right hand and a few fingers. Ouch!
Don't do that! Wear a glove!

When you use a false bottom remember that it takes up volume too and adjust your (almost to the top of the kettle) recipe. While it may look like you have enough space for the lid, you may not. I just pushed my lid down firmly like normal to make sure I get a good seal for the mash. Overflowed all down the sides and on to the Induction plate. Don't do that.

Probably been mentioned several times but stuck my head in the fermentation chest freezer to reattach the heater to an actively fermenting carboy... it was like all the air was sucked out of my lungs, knocked me back and almost knocked me out. Yea that hurt, don't do that.

When you buy a new bag for your MIAB setup, that is MUCH finer mesh than the old one, do NOT think that you need to mill the grain finer so you get better efficiency. Milled grain to almost flour, and the inevitable stuck mash (once) and sparge (TWICE because I don't learn, apparently) turned happy group brewday into swearing like a sailor in front of host's elderly father (whom I've known for about 40 years, thankfully he understands) and causing husband much consternation and asking "WTF did you do" making me MORE anxious and pissy. Yeah, don't do that. Also pissier because pipeline is currently too full for me to brew again for two weeks so I can't prove myself right.

well i had an epiphany moment trying to fill two kegs today....if your using a pump to pump it to the keg and the hose is high then the inlet in the fermenter, and it's foamy in the keg wonder why the keg isn't filling after letting the 'foam' settle...time after time, it's because it started a siphon and sucking it all back into the fermenter every time!

edit: not really an epiphinany because i already knew that...but this time it was foam, and didn't think about it when i didn't clearly seeing it doing it and yank it quick....

and..

Thanks for that, the dryers working pretty good, losing a bit of malt through the gap in the door...but i wouldn't have found this thread and link, if it wasn't for that comment about it! ;) :mug:

7E93CF08-3FB1-4B2E-ACB7-2823EEE87CE1.jpeg
image.jpg

My rule has always been, if nobody but me saw it, it didn't happen. Since I mostly brew by myself, LOTS of things never happened.

When you read somewhere about a new way to suspend hop bags for the boil, do a test run before actual brewday. Had mesh bag suspended from old mash paddle over the brew kettle, and the string slipped; in my haste to keep the bag from melting on the bottom of the kettle, I let the bag go completely. Hoisted it back up, and had the brilliant idea of using a spring clamp to hold it to the paddle. Yep, THAT didn't work either, and spring clamp dramatically flew into the boiling wort; where one of the silicone handle covers came off. After much fishing around, both clamp and handle cover came out, but not before losing about 10 minutes of the boil time; which I didn't compensate for on the timer. Result: superfull fermenter and maybe some weird flavors, in an IPA that uses a lot of spensive hops. Yeah, don't do that. New hop spider will be on the way shortly.

hey now it's not about the crush, it's about the time!!! as long as he sweeps that up in 5 seconds, and mashes for 6 hours, good as new! :mug:
I picked up and used what I could without picking up "a lot" of dirt. I swept up the rest and weighed it. I didn't have any more 2 row so I subbed flaked wheat for the few ounce that ended up in the compost pile. I'm doing a rebrew of my Lockdown 2020 Double IPA that turned out pretty good.

Don't say that BIAB is an intermediate step to AG brewing (three-tier with all the bells and whistles) even if it is. You'll blow people's mind and insult them even if you're referring to the process or level of difficulty. I fancy that I could hook up a pulley to a giant bag and sink 12# of grain into water, steep it and then boil that down while adding hops. Seems easier than a three-tier system for starters.
Don't do that.

You get to charge extra for the unique, one-of-a-kind flavor.
It's funny how outdoor rules are different than indoor rules.
I did drop a 14" X 10" square pizza on the ground bringing it in from the BBQ. It died on impact--nothing left but a bloody mess. Had it survived with only minor injuries, I would have eaten it.

When sparging a favourite new recipe using an electric robot kettle thing, watch the feet on the grain tube that suspends the wet grain above the hot wort.
I was carefully turning over the wet grain to create more drainage. Somehow, I rotated the grain tube just enough to slide all 4 feet off their perch and the tube full of 12lbs of wet Porter grain slid violently back down into the kettle.
I had hot Porter wort everywhere! I was very lucky not to get burned, but I was cleaning dark, sticky wort from nooks & crannies for days. Don’t do that!!

Sweep it up (without stones) mill it, use it. What doesn't drop out in the mash won't survive the post boil, and what survives the cold break post boil definitely won't keep floating after fining.
Our homebrew club does occasional stein brews - pretty much the same idea.

When you are super excited because your Very First BIAB brewday is going without a hitch, DON'T forget that you put soapy water in the spray bottle you use for spraying down boilovers, for checking co2 leaks; and then spray blithely away for several squirts before you remember. It wasn't super soapy water, but STILL. Yeah, don't do that. Should name this one NoHeadForYou lager.

Probably been mentioned several times but stuck my head in the fermentation chest freezer to reattach the heater to an actively fermenting carboy... it was like all the air was sucked out of my lungs, knocked me back and almost knocked me out. Yea that hurt, don't do that.
I’ve done that. If I’d pitched forward things would have gotten bad. I find that a small fan, placed at the bottom and pointing up, circulates enough air to avoid an enclosed-space death trap. Serves to generate enough heat, too, that I don’t need a reptile bulb or the like.

Before starting a brewday in sub-freezing temperatures, it's a very good idea to make absolutely sure your COVERED outside water spigot isn't frozen BEFORE starting the brewday. Apparently some water dribbled out after I put the cover on last time, which of course froze, and the valve won't turn. On the very small positive side, however, it's way cold enough for a no-chill day. Brewed an all-Galaxy pale with pilsner, two row, and some crystal for color.

Before starting a brewday in sub-freezing temperatures, it's a very good idea to make absolutely sure your COVERED outside water spigot isn't frozen BEFORE starting the brewday. Apparently some water dribbled out after I put the cover on last time, which of course froze, and the valve won't turn. On the very small positive side, however, it's way cold enough for a no-chill day. Brewed an all-Galaxy pale with pilsner, two row, and some crystal for color.

extension cord & hair dryer? should get it going pretty quick? as long as it's just the valve that's stuck...

extension cord & hair dryer? should get it going pretty quick? as long as it's just the valve that's stuck...
Chilled down to 70° by 8:30 last night so just let it go. Racked onto a yeast cake and it went nuts overnight. Hopefully no fusels or weird flavors but it was fun.

If you use a kerosene wick canning stove and heat your strike/sparge water with diesel... don't get your wick wet while pouring collected water into your HLT. Don't do that.

Before starting a brewday in sub-freezing temperatures, it's a very good idea to make absolutely sure your COVERED outside water spigot isn't frozen BEFORE starting the brewday

I so totally relate.
I also have filled the kettle in garage from outside hose bib, leaving hose out, to find at chill time that I have a 25' hose-cicle.

Back