Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B
This past summer there were a handful of 90+ degree brew days which meant it was 100+ in the garage. Screw this, I'm wearing shorts. Then I back into the very recently turned off propane burner, burning a decent sized square into the back of my leg. Don't do that! All fine plus a bad assed scar on my leg but I'm never wearing shorts to brew again.

Between May and October I do most all my brew sessions in shorts. I am just careful not to back into the burner. With my set up it would be fairly difficult to do anyway.

Between May and October I do most all my brew sessions in shorts. I am just careful not to back into the burner. With my set up it would be fairly difficult to do anyway.

LOL...I'm not the most graceful person and I don't have a lot of space. I've tripped over the gas line, power line for the pump, silicon hoses, kettles, etc. A pro brewer I know had an accident where someone stepped on a hose or something fell on it, I forget exactly, and the hose came loose and sprayed hot wort on his exposed (wearing shorts) leg, yielding a nice burn. Even happens to the pros...I'm not wearing shorts anymore. :smh:

Last edited:
LOL...I'm not the most graceful person and I don't have a lot of space. I've tripped over the gas line, power line for the pump, silicon hoses, kettles, etc. A pro brewer I know had an accident where someone stepped on a hose or something fell on it, I forget exactly, and the hose came loose and sprayed hot wort on his exposed (wearing shorts) leg, yielding a nice burn. Even happens to the pros...I'm not wearing shorts anymore. :smh:

I am not sure long pants are any better. They will absorb the hot wort and hold it against your skin. They might help on a brush up against a hot piece of metal though. I worked with a lady who had an accident working on a car. Feeding gasoline into the carburetor, a back fire, ignited gasoline and melting polyester pants. Not a good combination......

I am not sure long pants are any better. They will absorb the hot wort and hold it against your skin. They might help on a brush up against a hot piece of metal though. I worked with a lady who had an accident working on a car. Feeding gasoline into the carburetor, a back fire, ignited gasoline and melting polyester pants. Not a good combination......

I have heat and water resistant pants that I SHOULD wear but they're pretty heavy so I just wear them in the winter. In my case it wasn't wort and I've backed into the burner since then, wearing jeans, and walking away with slighty redder skin.

This sounds like a good argument for me to dig out my leather chaps....

Transfer 5 gallons of cooled wort into your sanitized fermenter when you've forgotten to drain the 1 - 2 gallons of Starsan from that fermenter…..Don't do that!

And then think you can still salvage that wort and ferment it and that it might still be drinkable...

And then attempt to aerate it with an air pump and stone, only to fight off the foam poring out of the top of the fermenter for an hour, while looking like an episode of I love Lucy....

and then still think that you might as well pitch the yeast since you made the starter....

and ferment for 2 weeks, keg it, and spend the next few days tasting it again and again while trying to convince yourself its drinkable... Don't do that!
Doh! Been there, done that. My condolences. Lol [emoji48]

Close. When the round went through, the pressure ruptured the bottle and created a 'cloud' of gasoline droplets. Like a mist. When it ignited, I felt it suck air towards it before I felt the concussion. The fireball was HUGE!

My wife's fault. She left me unsupervised...

We did something similar when we were younger. It involved a 1 pound propane bottle soaked in gasoline and a hunting rifle. Fun for the whole family.

one of my friends and his old rodeo partner made an O2/Acetylene bomb with a construction grade trash bag. don't do that.
My dad is a retired pipe fitter. They did this once inside a HUGE power house. BIG balloon, acetylene, long fuse and let it go. It was about 80 feet up by the time it went off - he said it shook the the entire power plant, and a few guys actually pissed themselves - LOL!!!

My dad is a retired pipe fitter. They did this once inside a HUGE power house. BIG balloon, acetylene, long fuse and let it go. It was about 80 feet up by the time it went off - he said it shook the the entire power plant, and a few guys actually pissed themselves - LOL!!!

Epic

Friend I got into brewing sent this picture to me today. It’s worse than it looks.

IMG_1723.jpg

He was just about done lautering a 1.100 RIS. The burner leg was on the edge of the table top... the weight of the full BK caused it to spread just enough that the whole thing fell off.

Apparently cleaning up 7G of RIS wort isn't easy.

Don't brew RIS!

I had brewed a porter two weeks ago. Today I moved it from the swamp cooler to make room for the barleywine I made Christmas day. Once I was ready to pitch my starter of wlp001 I removed the lid and took a gravity sample, then proceeded to inocculate the porter!! Lost about a third of the yeast before realizing my error. I was able to pitch about a liter into the big beer but don't know if it is enough or not.

Don't do THAT! Lol

Fill the soap compartment in the dishwasher with dawn. Suds everywhere i had to run the dishwasher through 8 cycles to get all the suds out of it.

I had brewed a porter two weeks ago. Today I moved it from the swamp cooler to make room for the barleywine I made Christmas day. Once I was ready to pitch my starter of wlp001 I removed the lid and took a gravity sample, then proceeded to inocculate the porter!! Lost about a third of the yeast before realizing my error. I was able to pitch about a liter into the big beer but don't know if it is enough or not.

Don't do THAT! Lol

Ouch! Even at 1.5 liters that sounds like a skimpy pitch for a Barleywine. 600 billion cells is a more realistic pitch target for a 5.5 gallon batch at an OG of 1.100.
Oxygenation is also important, twice on those dense suckers. Oxygenate again, 12-18 hrs after the inoculation. Your Barleywine that is... :tank:

How about doing a (quick) 1 liter vitality starter with a pack of US-05 and add when it's at high krausen?

Ouch! Even at 1.5 liters that sounds like a skimpy pitch for a Barleywine. 600 billion cells is a more realistic pitch target for a 5.5 gallon batch at an OG of 1.100.
Oxygenation is also important, twice on those dense suckers. Oxygenate again, 12-18 hrs after the inoculation. Your Barleywine that is... :tank:

How about doing a (quick) 1 liter vitality starter with a pack of US-05 and add when it's at high krausen?

Thought about that. I have some 05, some BRY 97 and some San Diego Super (wlp090). Unfortunately I had to pitch what I had harvested of the wlp001 to make up for my brain fart.

The OG on the barleywine was quite low at 1.072 (est was 1.089), so the vitality starter may be the best option.

Fill the soap compartment in the dishwasher with dawn. Suds everywhere i had to run the dishwasher through 8 cycles to get all the suds out of it.

Someone did that where I used to work a few years back. They were out of dishwasher detergent, so she squirted some Dawn into the machine's dispenser. The suds built up so much pressure it pushed the door open, dumping a wave of foam on the breakroom floor. It took building services about an hour to clean it up and rinse out the dishwasher. But all of our coffee mugs were spotless. :)

Thought about that. I have some 05, some BRY 97 and some San Diego Super (wlp090). Unfortunately I had to pitch what I had harvested of the wlp001 to make up for my brain fart.

The OG on the barleywine was quite low at 1.072 (est was 1.089), so the vitality starter may be the best option.

24 hours after pitching I have activity in the form of a krausen .5" high. If I under pitched, wouldn't there be significantly longer lag time? I may let this ride for a while.

24 hours after pitching I have activity in the form of a krausen .5" high. If I under pitched, wouldn't there be significantly longer lag time? I may let this ride for a while.
For a 1.072 you need around 250 billion cells for a pro pitch. Your leftover 1 liter may have had at least 150 billion, you're probably OK with it as is. Oxygenation when pitching has a remarkable impact on how fast a batch takes off, and how well it progresses. My 1.065-some NEIPAs have krausen and a steady CO2 output within 12 hours when pitching at 66F.

For a 1.072 you need around 250 billion cells for a pro pitch. Your leftover 1 liter may have had at least 150 billion, you're probably OK with it as is. Oxygenation when pitching has a remarkable impact on how fast a batch takes off, and how well it progresses. My 1.065-some NEIPAs have krausen and a steady CO2 output within 12 hours when pitching at 66F.
Hijacking a Don't Do That thread to discuss pitching techniques.

DON'T DO THAT.

Picking up the half-full grain mill from the grain bucket (to unload some crushed malt to make space for the rest) by the side of the hopper, which hadn't been tightened down because your lazy ass skimped when assembling it this morning.

DON'T DO THAT.

Needless to say, there went fifteen minutes herding barley kernels back into a container from every possible part of the counter. Luckily they stayed on the counter and didn't start exploring the floor in large numbers.

Before anyone wonders why, beer kit storage is at a premium and storing the mill mounted on a wooden board with the hopper on it would waste too much of said space.

herding barley kernels back into a container from every possible part of the counter. Luckily they stayed on the counter and didn't start exploring the floor in large numbers.
Milling grain indoors...

Don't Do That!

But at least you could recover the spill easier than if you were in your driveway. :tank:

Cut a dip tube and decided to test it out for an upcoming brew day. Couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t pick up the last gallon of wort below the bulkhead fitting. Realized I didn’t have my hose connected to the drain valve and in the bucket to create a siphon.

Don’t do that.

Connected hose — siphon works — sanity returned.

brewed up an ipa on sunday. i have weighed out hop additions in mason jars for years without issue...until now. i had two ounces of hop pellets in a small (6 oz) jar. hops were from a freshly opened 1 lb bag and were still somewhat clumped together. i go to dump in the boiling wort (15 min addition) and the hops are stuck in the jar so i shake it a bit. hops fall out into the boiling wort in a giant wad and a bunch of liquid flies up into the air. i instinctively jump back and close my eyes, launching my hand into the air and smacking it on the hood above me (brewing indoors on electric). i open my eyes and realize i don't see the glass jar. took me a few seconds to realize it had fallen into the boiling wort! i panic for a few seconds, did it break? i cant think of an easy way to fish the thing out of nearly 12 gallons of boiling liquid and besides, i'd probably end up busting the thing up trying to root around in there. no point in stopping now so i finish up the brew and transfer to the fermenter. as the liquid level drops in the boil kettle, it exposes a perfectly intact glass jar.

disaster averted but dumping bulky wads of material from a glass jar into boiling liquid, don't do that.

While cleaning lines on kegerator, notice ball lock post on intertap is leaking. Do not notice rubber gasket/washer fell out. Tighten ball lock post until leak stops. Now i cant get the damn ball lock spout off my intertap faucet. Going to have to use a pipewrench to get it off.... dont do that!

Don't do THAT! Lol

It seems this little error was of little consequence... FG on the beer was 1.010 from 1.072, putting me at 8.1% abv.

No harm, no foul!

Already posted this in Embarassing Mistakes; don't forget that the little red cap to the autosiphon popped off in the carboy while trying to keg, then later (after a few post-brewday pints) go to clean said carboy, dump yeast and trub (and cap) in toilet, and flush. Amazon wants $5-6 for one of those things, LHBS has them but don't know when I'll get there next. Yah, don't do that.

Making up a Saison from grains you got a few weeks ago, but didn’t label for the recipe. And then using another Saison recipe. And halfway through the boil when you are making notes, realize that none of the grains match. And that it was for a 3.5 gallon batch instead of the 5 gallons merrily boiling away.
Don’t do that.
But do keep a sack of DME to fix your mistakes.

FFBE176C-F24C-4B28-AF1E-78B26FFFE803.jpeg
Placed CO2 on conical tonight. Oops I forgot to dump the yeast. Decided to dump now since the pressure is only at 3psi. Did not take into consideration the 2in pipe and tank pressure would disrupt my night. Trub, yeast, and beer all over the place...
Don’t do that.

View attachment 612669 Placed CO2 on conical tonight. Oops I forgot to dump the yeast. Decided to dump now since the pressure is only at 3psi. Did not take into consideration the 2in pipe and tank pressure would disrupt my night. Trub, yeast, and beer all over the place...
Don’t do that.

Use the pressure washer to clean it up!!! :D

Don't plug your RIMS element directly to the power instead of the PID controller and spend the first 40 min wondering why you mash temp is rising. Finally found the mistake when mash was at 185 F. I think I'm going to miss my OG from mashing too high.

Don't plug your RIMS element directly to the power instead of the PID controller and spend the first 40 min wondering why you mash temp is rising. Finally found the mistake when mash was at 185 F. I think I'm going to miss my OG from mashing too high.
Let us know how it turned out. There's a good chance your mash was mostly done in the first 10-15 minutes. It may not be the most fermentable, but still very usable.

Let us know how it turned out. There's a good chance your mash was mostly done in the first 10-15 minutes. It may not be the most fermentable, but still very usable.
I entered the numbers into Beersmith and they weren't as far off as I expected. I'm brewing Cream of Three Crops, Beersmith estimated a pre-boil gravity of 1.046 and I got 1.041. Mash Efficiency of 70.6% when Beersmith estimated 78.5%. I decided to add a pound of corn sugar that I no longer need since I keg now and because of that hit OG right where I wanted it.

I entered the numbers into Beersmith and they weren't as far off as I expected. I'm brewing Cream of Three Crops, Beersmith estimated a pre-boil gravity of 1.046 and I got 1.041. Mash Efficiency of 70.6% when Beersmith estimated 78.5%. I decided to add a pound of corn sugar that I no longer need since I keg now and because of that hit OG right where I wanted it.
Nice recovery and good use of dextrose!

This is gonna be a long one. Number one: DON'T change your times once you have them set, thinking your volume is too high. Short carboy=short keg in a week or so, with a beautifully pricey-hopped IPA that will go FAST. Only redeeming factor is higher OG than expected, and should be a fantastic ale. Gave myself a huge talking-to in my notes about that. Number two: Remember to take the garden hose connector off the chilling hose every time; otherwise somebody else who lives here, that I happen to be married to, will take it off himself and somehow lose the o-ring inside it, resulting in water all over the garage floor during chilling and no replacement as backup. In other words, NEVER ASSUME your equipment was as it was when you left it last time. End of rant, off to sweep about 3 gallons of water off my garage floor.

Back