Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brew 1st AG in far corner of 4 car garage door, cracked open for hose on chiller ,go out to other side far corner of shop to turn on hose only to come back & find hose clamp on said chiller lose & spewing BAD well h2o in wort !

Trip on the shelves you were building to get equipment out of the way. I'll have a nice bruise tomorrow.

Spend hrs perfecting a mash paddle made from a reclaimed pallet only to fail to look for knots in the 1st place
Ps is there a limit to how many 1person can list ? I have too many ha

image.jpg

Brewed a Steam Beer kit from my LHBS with a 1/2 pound of Crystal 10 as the specialty grain a week ago, cleaned up the kitchen brew area afterwards and inadvertently forgot to dispose of the grain bag full of grain, leaving it sitting in a deli container on the back of the counter until SWMBO found it last night and dragged me into the kitchen by the arm at 2 in the morning to properly dispose of it.......DEFINITELY DON'T DO THAT! :smack:

Proactively wrap your kettle with a sleeping bag and straps whilst your burner is on bringing your BiaB kettle up to mash temp, and assume the heat coming up the sides of your kettle wont melt the sleeping bag and straps....

Talk to your daughter whilst you're preparing a sanitising bucket and a separate bowl of boiled water for rehydrating dry yeast, then distractedly put the measure of starsan into the yeast water instead of the sanitising bucket.

Dont do those

Leave the hose outside while winter is in full effect then try and chill a brew before letting the now frozen hose thaw. Don't do that.

Brewed a Steam Beer kit from my LHBS with a 1/2 pound of Crystal 10 as the specialty grain a week ago, cleaned up the kitchen brew area afterwards and inadvertently forgot to dispose of the grain bag full of grain, leaving it sitting in a deli container on the back of the counter until SWMBO found it last night and dragged me into the kitchen by the arm at 2 in the morning to properly dispose of it.......DEFINITELY DON'T DO THAT! :smack:

Anger SWMBO?

Don't do that.

Purchase a pH meter and mineral salts to start controlling the chemistry of your mash, then forget to use either until 45 minutes into said mash.

Don't do that.

Order a new pH meter electrode in the middle of January. It might be frozen and completely #%*+ed when it arrives.

Sanitize a syringe with one step oxy in order to add DAP through the airlock grommet. Then later take a swig of that one step thinking it is water... :smack:
Don't do that.

Get drunk while brewing... again... then screw up the mash temp... get pissed off and leave all the dirty hardware in the front yard. Don't do that... again.

Smuggle coral home from Vanuatu in your foot.
Dismiss infected blister on the back of your heel as being from the flipper strap, rather than from sharp coral.
Continue working as a mechanic, wearing workboots, limping around in the Aussie summer.
Tear your calf due to limping, ignoring the fact that every cut you have is getting infected.
Treat the swollen calf with ice and rest over the weekend, allowing the now blood-born staf infection to set into your torn muscle fibres.
Finally arrive at a doctors, six weeks after returning, who sends you immediately for surgery, slicing through your calf to the bone.
Spend a week in isolation at the hospital as doctors pack, clean, and repack your sliced-open calf muscle with gauze bandage, while copping a few liters of penicillin via IV.

Yeah. Don't do that.

But beer?
Uh...
Assume you know more than you do. So when you find your (rather conmplex) ginger beer at 1.005, assume it's nearly the same as water is (relying on existing knowledge rather than re-reading the recipe) and therefore must have some weird mutant infection, and tip it all down the toilet without even tasting it.

Don't do that.

(currently slurping down BM's Centennial Blonde. I got better...)

Put off routine or simple medical procedures and instead wait until they become debilitating problems: don't do that.

Leave your brew day water filter mounted outside, only to find it busted into 7 pieces from the winter that finally showed up . Oh, yeah. It had WATER IN IT.

Put your plastic carboy on top of the toilet then walk into the garage to **** with a fitting to rack sanatizer to another leg. Your carboy full of Belgian Dubbel and yeast you want to use today will flip on its lid and spill all over the bathroom floor and carpet putting you into panic clean up mode trying to get each ounce of liquid out from behind the baseboard to the point of contemplating the cost.

Rack a gallon of mead into a 3 liter secondary, assure yourself you'll totally remember what mead this is, and forget about it for a few months. I've either got an infected JAOM or a raspberry melomel that hasn't hit its stride yet.

Not label your brews: don't do that.

...or, conversely, remove the label off an empty box of bottles, & toss it aside for a moment...moment never comes. Then I'm left trying to remember which one is what, don't do that.

^^^^Done that, just bottled that batch last night..Will see how it turns out in 2 weeks...

Filling bottling bucket with Star-San solution, not bothering checking to make sure spigot was OFF! Well, at least THAT section of the floor is sanitized!

It is funny. I think everyone has left the spigot open on the bottling bucket at one time or another. I have done that, so now I make sure to check it before adding anything to the bucket.

Fill your 3 liter secondary full to the brim, and stick your auto siphon into the vessel, displacing all of that lovely mead across the counter.
Don't do that either.

It is funny. I think everyone has left the spigot open on the bottling bucket at one time or another. I have done that, so now I make sure to check it before adding anything to the bucket.
Yeah that's right there with forgetting to make sure the oil drain plug on your car is back on...

Sure high heat kills enzymes....but only the weak ones :rockin::rockin::rockin:

My enzymes must have been little girly weaklings then, because I just had to extract amylase into some fresh wort and toss it in there. Seems to have done the job of moving it past 1.040 SG though

Latest posts

Back