doing first all grain batch and a little low, 1.030 instead of 1.045

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j3r3my

Reaction score
Can i use the bottling drops as extra sugar? starting boil now and have no dme, and homebrew store is closed.

Is it a big deal being 1.030 instead of 1.045? brewing Cream of three crops.

If you're starting to boil, that's a good sign. You will boil off water, and your gravity will rise as water is boiled off. Just make sure to test once you think you're close to hitting your og.

i don't know what the proper answer is, but i ran into the same problem, except i had dme. i added what turned out to be too much and overshot. i would do your boil then take your reading as it will increase with the boil off of water.

Do you have honey, molasses, brown sugar, or just regular sugar? You could add some of those to increase yoru fermentables. Obviously it will change your flavor profile, but might keep you from having to boil for a long time.

Preboil gravity x volume = postboil gravity x volume
30 x 6.5 = ? x 5
195 = ? x 5
195/5=39
OG = 1.039
Also, don't forget to correct for temperature, the hydrometer is calulated @60 degrees

Bull

What type of sparge did you use? Fly? Batch? Also, how long did you do your scarification rest? What temp did you rest at?

Sorry for all the questions but I had this problem a while back on a pale ale and it is because I did not fly sparge correctly.

Cheers!

adding sugars will dry (thin out) your beer, since you are adding fermentables (wich will become alcohol) with out extra body. if it were my beer, i would check the SG after the boil and probably leave it at what it is. i'm not really concerned with having a certain amount of alcohol. i would have this be a low alcohol session beer, and see what i could do to up my efficiency for next time.

adding sugars will dry (thin out) your beer, since you are adding fermentables (wich will become alcohol) with out extra body. if it were my beer, i would check the SG after the boil and probably leave it at what it is. i'm not really concerned with having a certain amount of alcohol. i would have this be a low alcohol session beer, and see what i could do to up my efficiency for next time.

the winning answer. be happy with your session beer rather than possibly ruining the whole batch by thinning it out.

Ok, update. I finished my boil, chilled to 80, siphoned to my primary bucket and I ended up with 2 gallons at 1.050 but it is way darker than I wanted it to be. Can I add some water to bring it 1.045 or just leave it as is and enjoy a gallon less?

Ok, update. I finished my boil, chilled to 80, siphoned to my primary bucket and I ended up with 2 gallons at 1.050 but it is way darker than I wanted it to be. Can I add some water to bring it 1.045 or just leave it as is and enjoy a gallon less?

I would add some water, as I like that beer to beer crisp and light and easy drinking, balanced with the small amount of hops.

If you have two gallons at 1.050, adding .5 gallon would get you to 1.040 and 2.5 gallons.

Back