Doing 1st 10 gallon batch next weekend...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmeiske12

Reaction score
Taking the plunge into the 10gal realm and for some reason, I'm thinking the setup I have currently can't handle a ten gallon batch.

Setup I have:
2-tier Metal Unistrut Stand
15.5 gal Sanke Keg HLT
10 gal rubbermaid converted mash tun with Bazooka screen (thinking of making a false bottom for this instead)
15.5 gal Sanke Keg BK

I'm going to be purchasing a pump this week and some SS hardware for it in order to fly sparge, we'll be using gravity to run-off.

This is the recipe we wanted to use that I found on here from Matt Up North:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/pliny-middle-child-110582/

Just going off what I've read of water amounts for fly sparging, I'm thinking of using 7gal to mash with and then filling the HLT with 13-15 gal just to be safe in order to get to 13 gal for the boil. (around 3 gal absorbed in the mash)

I guess my main concern is that I think the grain bill is too big for this setup. Should we go with a simpler recipe instead? Maybe people can fill me in with the MAX grain they've got in their 10 gal cooler.

At 1.25 QTS per pound of grain you should be able to get about 24lbs of grain in there. I can't remember exactly what the grain bill was in that recipe but you may be able to get by with a thicker mash.

I regularly do 10 gallon batches with a 10 gallon cooler and a bazooka screen. Of course, this means you can't do really heavy 10 gallon batches. When I do 10 gallons it is split into 2 batches of 5 each so this hasn't been a problem for me.

The last batch was 28 lbs of grain for a parti-gyle scottish ale. It fit in the MLT, but just barely.

cluckk said:
I regularly do 10 gallon batches with a 10 gallon cooler and a bazooka screen. Of course, this means you can't do really heavy 10 gallon batches. When I do 10 gallons it is split into 2 batches of 5 each so this hasn't been a problem for me.

The last batch was 28 lbs of grain for a parti-gyle scottish ale. It fit in the MLT, but just barely.

And you did the Scottish ale in one batch or 2?

I did it as a parti-gyle pulling off the wort into two batches with two different gravities. Total beer 11 gallons (finished) from one mash (batch sparged). The only difference between this and what you are talking about is that you will boil the whole thing in one kettle.

I use a 10 gallon cooler, and I max out at 23lbs. That leaves just enough room in the mash tun to stir with out spilling. You may be able to squeeze in 24lbs, but you will be mashing a little thick and will be filled to the rim.

Back