Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was the scariest dog parent moment I have had yet.

Ours was fine, she would usually just run to the edge of the yard and grumble at cars and people until recently. Now that the snow has melted a bit, the fat rabbit came back out of hiding and when Siggi saw it, chased her out the yard and down the street. Lost my ****, have to make sure to keep the fence closed now. She doesn't stop when you yell at her either, at least not when a rabbit is involved.

Three glasses raised for yesterday's news. And CAD, the 'what if' scenarios get worse with kids, but you'll be better prepared after taking care of the dogs.

Sidenote - our pit bull 'permapuppy' got out of her collar on a walk and decided to cross a VERY busy street a couple of weeks ago. Not only did she survive, but her crazy dad (aka, me) blindly chased her through traffic and survived. That was the scariest dog parent moment I have had yet.

Our sheltie has a very strong herding instinct that we haven't quite been able to break. He once darted out into the street of our subdivision to try to stop our neighbor's truck. Thankfully the driver was paying attention and slammed on the brakes, but my heart definitely skipped a beat.

That's what I worry about. Despite our neighborhood being much safer than the previous one we lived in, people that don't live on the street fly down it ridiculously fast to cut through to get to the park. It's terrifying, especially with the amount of children that live in the area.

It's crazy isn't it? We got our first puppy here in November/December. I've already had nightmares of her running into traffic or something equally horrible and wake up a mess. Man. I'm in trouble if I ever have kids.
I never understood people that would completely fall apart at the loss of a pet.

And then I got Sage.

The first time I dropped him off at the kennel for a weekend, I wanted to cry the whole drive home.

I get it now.

I never understood people that would completely fall apart at the loss of a pet.

And then I got Sage.

The first time I dropped him off at the kennel for a weekend, I wanted to cry the whole drive home.

I get it now.

It is crazy how attached we get to our pups. When we travel and have to kennel the dogs, and return home after the kennel is closed, so we can't pick them up until,the next day. The house just feels so empty without the pups there.

Chulo likes the cold concrete

image.jpg

The furry little critters have a way of tying up the heart strings. Sorry for your loss.

Get a puppy your house will not be quiet anymore. It will be filled with screams of no, NO, NO, ouch, ouch OWWW! Stop, stop, STOP. Well, at least that's how it sounds at my house now.��

It is crazy how attached we get to our pups. When we travel and have to kennel the dogs, and return home after the kennel is closed, so we can't pick them up until,the next day. The house just feels so empty without the pups there.
That's one of the reasons I love the vet that I use - when I board Sage there for a weekend, they will call me when they go in to do evening chores, and let me come in and pick him up Sunday evening so I don't have to leave work early on Monday.

So we did our first race without Wally last weekend. I could not have taken him anyway as this track has a no dogs rule. He had been to seven races with us and was by far more well known than anyone else on the team. Heck, he spent as much time hanging out in other peoples paddocks as ours because the wives of another team would just steal him while I was busy driving or wrenching.

The lady who runs the timing and scoring asked about him when I picked up my transponder. When I told her he had passed, she had to excuse herself to go ball in the corner.

Apparently he used spend an hour or two up there every race just hanging out with her while she monitored the scoring equipment. For 14 hours each weekend she sits pretty much alone in corner and the wives, mentioned above, thought she could use the company.

So we did our first race without Wally last weekend. I could not have taken him anyway as this track has a no dogs rule. He had been to seven races with us and was by far more well known than anyone else on the team. Heck, he spent as much time hanging out in other peoples paddocks as ours because the wives of another team would just steal him while I was busy driving or wrenching.

The lady who runs the timing and scoring asked about him when I picked up my transponder. When I told her he had passed, she had to excuse herself to go ball in the corner.

Apparently he used spend an hour or two up there every race just hanging out with her while she monitored the scoring equipment. For 14 hours each weekend she sits pretty much alone in corner and the wives, mentioned above, thought she could use the company.

ok, 'parently I can't read this thread at work. Killin' me man. Thankful for private office. :(

It seems that salty tears give a slight off flavor to Bells Hop Slam when raising a toast to Wally-the-not-so-Wonderdog, but Im ok with that. So sorry Onkel_Udo, as you know it never gets any easier, the hurt just lessens with time.

I'm still running across neighbors that don't know we lost the Bassett. We have our moment of silence, then I explain that we were honored to have shared his silly ass self with the neighborhood.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455125169.752489.jpg
Nyla my old mutt will be 13 on Friday. I've had her since she was a puppy. She's been with me and my wife through many moves and two little girls now (3 & 6). She is such a good dog! She lets my wife and daughters dress her up. The little one likes to sit on her which isn't good for many reasons, but she just rolls with it!

She follows me throughout the house and is by my side all the time. I love that I work from home (when I'm not traveling) and she's always there. She hasn't budged as I type this up. She will even hang out with my in the freezing garage when I brew in the winter months.

Her age is starting to show, she sleeps more and has troubles with the stairs sometimes. Although when the warm weather returns she will be wanting to run out back and play fetch, but with more breaks.

I love reading the new posts on this thread! Thanks for sharing everyone!!

One more. The old guy there is getting close to 12 years. We live in the country and He was a a drop off. Turned him into a wonderful dog and still amazed that some heartless ass would just throw this beautiful guy away. He is lucky that he found a home here where he isn't pampered or spoiled at all. Not one bit.

image.jpg

. So sorry Onkel_Udo, as you know it never gets any easier, the hurt just lessens with time.

Actually, time tempers the sadness a lot and I spend more time enjoying the memories. Lots of teams had their favorite story this weekend and I spent more time laughing over the memories than anything else.

One team had a photo on their phone of the July race when it was hot for up here. Wally was lying in between two coolers lapping up the the water as it drained from one. I have NO idea when that happened. They explained that some random woman was walking him through the paddock when he started dragging her to the coolers.

Another funny one was when I came out the showers and ran into a face I knew but not a name:

"Where's Wally"
"He passed last week"
"Bummer...he literally scared the **** out of me on the toilet last time you were taking a shower at Gingerman and he decided to join me in the stall. We had a nice chat while I petted his ears."

@Onkel_Udo It's always great to hear how they brightened others peoples days and lives and that others loved them just as much.

Our silly Bassett would sit and allow people to pet him. What they didn't know was coming when they stopped petting was that DEEP LOUD BAYING voice that Bassett's have. New folks would jump and go back to petting him. Never failed to get a laugh.
Through some rough math, I figured we put no less that 1900 miles on that Bassett in the time we had him. That's a sh*t load when you don't have legs and I have sprinkled his ashes at every mail box up and down the street.

tomorrow will mark 6 years since we adopted the Howdy

he'll be 9 at the end of the month

the face has changed, but the annoying lovable hound hasn't slowed down a bit

howdy[1].jpg

tomorrow will mark 6 years since we adopted the Howdy

he'll be 9 at the end of the month

the face has changed, but the annoying lovable hound hasn't slowed down a bit

View attachment 337055

One of my dogs had almost the same coloring as your Howdy when she was young. Now her head is almost all white. Hard to believe she is almost 14 years old.

Here is a pic that is about a year old when she was about 13. She is much whiter now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 115
Raise a glass..Had to put two of our family down today.. it's going to be weird not having them around..

Sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is. I just had to do the same thing less than 3 weeks ago. You aren't alone.

I spent a week lower than low then started looking for another Akita who needed help. I think I found one today. I still have to pass the intro but with a few good thoughts for luck I'm sure I can ace it.

My pup Sydney will be taking her trip across the rainbow bridge. She's suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis is all her important joints. Walking for her has been excruciating for a week. Refusing to go, refusing to stand while going, refusing to eat unless she's handfed. It's a miserable time for her. She has given our family a great 8 years and it kills me to see her like this.

Though she's in terrible pain, she'll never show it. She shows great spirits. Just trying to get as much time in before her final trip. I love this girl, and she will be greatly missed.

View attachment 335448

Sorry to hear it. I was giving Ol' Tuck carprofen and tramadol which really helped for several weeks. MSM also seemed to help.

Sorry to hear it. I was giving Ol' Tuck carprofen and tramadol which really helped for several weeks. MSM also seemed to help.

Sydney had metacam for a while, which helped a little. She went through several anti inflammatory med and painkillers. Nothing worked for her, and quality of life slipped significantly. We made the choice when she became bedridden and would refuse to stand for simple tasks (water, food) she'd only stand for toileting. It's been a week without her and it's hard every time we look at her bed. Our other pup, scout, is 8 and still going strong. He has another good 6-7 years in him. He sniffs around and looks for her in all of her old hiding places. It's pretty sad. He now gets some extra love around the house.

Roca..My wife's mutt.
It was a fair trade... The agreement was that if I could put up living with an indoor dog 365 she could put up living on the boat 180. That dog is very special to me now..:p

102_0224.JPG

I spent a week lower than low then started looking for another Akita who needed help. I think I found one today. I still have to pass the intro but with a few good thoughts for luck I'm sure I can ace it.

Update? Loved my Akita. Purebred American female, rescued from some a$$bag that bred her first time she came into heat with a Rotty. Nothin against the Rotty, was doin what he does, but took a giant chunk of her ear. Pups were cute as all hell. Took 2 baths to find out she had the rare 4 white socks cuz he kept her in a 4x8 pen with no shelter outside all the time.
After about 4 weeks, finally warmed up to us, funny long story for another time, that one. But, right in the middle of ex and I splitting, had to put her down. She was 13, doggy dementia, vertigo, all that. But she was a great dog. Been gone 13 years now, still miss her. Keep tryin to get the wife to get one, but we keep finding little dogs to rescue. [emoji53] lol

Keep tryin to get the wife to get one, but we keep finding little dogs to rescue. [emoji53] lol

My (now ex) wife was on board with the giant breeds from the start. We have adopted a couple 45-50#'s over the years and on was awesome, the other is OK but bit too excitable (though Gus is an Olympic hopeful in the sleeping in event).

Most of my friends who think big does are hard to care for or need lots of space, etc, etc. Once they met Grady (our Newfie long since passed) or Wally (the Bernese that just passed) we were able to open that dialogue about "the right big dog" of apartments or small yards. From what I remember, Akita's are also, as adults, low energy dogs most of the time.

You can't escape that big big dogs are more expensive for routine vet bills, grooming and food but not as bad as most might think. My biggest dog gets 4 cups of food a day but we are about to taper that back down since she has finally gained weight (Saint Bernard at 118 #'s).

My Great Dane is at about 5 cups a day right now. Had him on 7 but his shats were softserve. Pretty good at 5 now. Might need to bump it up a tad since he's still growing a bit. We'll see. Is still gaining weight without being too skinny so far.

Feeding him Taste of the Wild Salmon. dog fish breath is as bad as you can imagine.

Back